[Home] [Message Boards]
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Seth Mason Timberlake

November 13 2012 at 3:26 AM
Michael McKay 

From the web page Manassas: The March, The Mayhem, The Memory, Pt. 2.

This is my great-great-grandmother, Aurelia Russell (Timberlake) Heflybower's brother.

Seth Mason Timberlake
TIMBERLAKE, SETH MASON: b. 11/16/32 at Winchester. Farmer. enl. 6/19/61 at
Winchester in Co. G of 2nd Va. Inf. as Pvt. Wded. in both legs at 1st Manassas, 7/21/61. Returned to Regt. from sick leave, 10/12/61. Last infantry record shows him absent sick, Nov./Dec. 1861. enl. 4/17/62 at Conrads Store in Co. B of 12th Va. Cav. as 1st Sgt. Nicknamed the fighting sergeant and "Uncle Seth." Unofficial source (Baylor) says horse KIA at Front Royal, 8/11/62. Unofficial source (Baylor) says wded. east of Charles Town in early Dec. 1862. Absent on horse detail, Nov./Dec. 1863. Present Jan./Feb. -
March/April 1864. No further record. Paroled at Greensboro, N.C., 4/26/65. Postwar, went to New York in 1866 and was employed in mercantile business in Brooklyn; then returned to Charles Town, W.Va.; then moved to Staunton area where he served as a steward of Western Hosp. d. 12/18/07 at home of his son in Brooklyn, N.Y. bur. Tinkling Spring Church Cem., Fisherviile, Va. (family lived at Cool Spring on Lloyd Road in 1850, today the site of Craftwerks.-ED)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Michael McKay

3 more Timberlake things

November 14 2012, 1:27 PM 

In addition to that I've found Seth Mason Timberlake's listing at Find A Grave:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=24211613

There is now a Timberlake Family Tree website which I've added to the list of other websites in the Bethel section: http://www.timberlakefamilytree.org

Because of these two things I found out how Charles Broadway Rouss was connected to my Timberlake family. I was always told the tale of how he courted my great-great-grandmother Aurelia Timberlake (later Heflybower) and how he came over drunk one time and she ended it. It turns out he was a brother to Seth M. Timberlake's 1st wife.

Also, I found the memorial to Cousin Keightley Wilson on Find A Grave and her listing on the Timberlake website. I was told about her and how my great-aunt Kitty was named for her. Here's her memorial:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=19431226

Respond to this message   
jim vance

seth timberlakes saddle

September 10 2015, 10:29 AM 

I have Seth Mason Timberlake's Civil War saddle that he brought home from the war. It came from a direct descendent and was purchased from the Burnt Chimney Auction in Virginia. It is well documented and easily found pictured on a number of internet searches. I am moving and since this item is large I am now forced to part with it. I would like to see it in the hands of a descendent, and would be extremely reasonable due to my circumstances and the belief that his family should retain it if at all possible. Please contact me if interested.
Jimmy

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
[Previous board] [Next board]

© 1997 steer_family@hotmail.com