Re: One problemApril 26 2009 at 9:29 AM
Response to Re: One problem
The old club was dead. Remember the good times, yes. After you've tasted the honey of Wembley then the end of Canal St, prostituting ourselves around the North West, relegation and ultimately humiliating defeats take their toll. Some fans voted with their feet and went to Runcorn Town, others did an incredible job of forming a new club. The idea of a new club for the town prompted me to make 80 mile round trips for home games. The idea that things would change, that it would genuinely be a fans club. Why not FC United? Why not AFC Liverpool? Well I grew up in Runcorn. Frankly, I'm not a United fan so don't care about FC United's ideals and AFC Liverpool...I can afford the real thing should I want to.
In the beginning, the fans club concept worked and indeed many decisions were made by the fans for the fans. However, power corrupts and I think you'll struggle to find a fan who believes that the original ideals are still followed. People who were prominent in season one and two are GONE. Lost forever, I suspect. Why do you think that is? Why isn't Spenner still a regular? Why did New Linnet give up? You rarely see Mike Goodier at matches nowadays. You tell me that any of them DIDNT have something to offer over and ABOVE what we have now.
The reality is that the club needs new ideas and to embrace new people. The clique that is the board (and don't pretend it isn't) just fails to inspire people to get involved. I'm sorry to say it but for us to progress we've got to move on a step from the Chairman shouting vitriolic abuse at the ref from behind the goal, from a community development officer abusing away fans, from board members putting personal interests before those of the club, from publicly abusing their own fans on the clubs website.
I suspect we'll get the usual "we don't give a f**k" what you say replies on here from nameless cowards but it's difficult to argue with much of what Concerned Fan, Runcorn Mafia et al are saying. It's time for TRUST MEMBERS to think like that. Think about the sustainability of the club and not about who will play left back in the cup final. I'm not criticising them just begging them to look a little deeper and see what is happening.
Re: One problem - Urkey on Apr 26, 2009, 4:57 PM
- Re: One problem - skinzibar on Apr 26, 2009, 10:44 PM
- Establishing a base in the town - I wont put my name, as Im scared of you knowing wh on Apr 27, 2009, 9:53 AM
- Re: Establishing a base in the town - runnerglyn on Apr 27, 2009, 11:20 AM
- The wilsons - Daz law on May 1, 2009, 12:27 PM
- The Wilsons and Waterloo are shit holes - Runcorn Home and Away on May 1, 2009, 4:09 PM
- No Problem - Daz law on May 1, 2009, 5:34 PM
- supporters team - fred on May 4, 2009, 10:29 AM
- Re: The Wilsons and Waterloo are shit holes - I wont put my name, as Im scared of you knowing wh on May 1, 2009, 9:43 PM
- Re: The Wilsons and Waterloo are shit holes - Ste Biggy on May 4, 2009, 11:27 AM