Re. "Sprite" series...

by Knut

The "Sprite" series were what I would call Timex's mid-size range. With a case diameter of 30.5-mm they were smaller that the Mercury/Marlin series. There were also squarish Sprite models with some wild dial designs! The "newest" one I have, which I would consider a Sprite model,is from 1977 ( 2377302577 ). I'm not done with the watch, but it has a black dial with bold orange markers ( box ) with a yellow, luminous centre along with yellow, luminous 6,9 and 12 ( date at 3 ). I can post a pic when it's done. The earliest Sprite series I have in the Timex Manual is from 1964 ( 11502464 ).

As far as I know there were no Self-Wind or Automatic in the Sprite series.

The Sprite series were suitable for people with small wrists ( myself included - I have what you might call a "toothpick wrist" - C.W.'s word for a small wrist...! ). I guess teenagers would also have found the Sprite a suitable watch, and also women who wanted a larger kind of watch.

I feel the Sprite series has been somewhat overlooked when it comes to Timex watches - I think they will become more collectable as the years go by. I would assume they did not sell as well as Timex's other watches, and therefore might be harder to find.

Knut

Posted on Sep 30, 2005, 3:11 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

Find more forums on WatchesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Vintage Timex Watch Forum