To answer

by Bill D

you John, first I am by no means a electric expert. I'm just a relative newbie that likes to collect Timex electrics. The "Ronsonol trick" I referred to is something I learned about on this forum. It is merely putting some Ronsonol lighter fluid in the movement to give it a quick cleaning for those of us that don't have the real cleaning devices. After applying the fluid , the movement can be blown out GENTLY and the fluid evaporates quickly. I found out the hard way that using a strong air blast from a canned source can bend the contact spring. Again this is not the preferred method of cleaning your electric.
Replacing the dial on the model 40 is the same as on most Timex watches. First remove the second hand. You do not have to remove the hr and min hands. Then straighten the four tabs on the dial and remove the dial from the movement. When putting the new dial on, preset the hands to 12:00, set the dial in place and bend the tabs to secure. Replace the second hand by pressing it just below the chamfer on the staff.

Hope this helps

Bill D

Posted on Oct 7, 2005, 12:01 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Find more forums on WatchesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Vintage Timex Watch Forum