Alnilam's Realm (Post)

Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • I've taken four years of Latin. It really does give you an edge. Plus...
    • Horsea15 (no login)
      Posted Nov 28, 2001 5:07 PM

Once you have a good understanding of it, you can translate old epics and whatnot. Last year our entire class time was spent translating the Aeneid. Very, very cool. And its amazing how many books I've read and different pieces of literature have little phrases of Latin in them. It makes you feel smart when you know what they mean. Alas, I'm in my junior year now, so now I have to choose another language. I was going to do old Testament Greek, however, its supposed to be very difficult, and I spend enough time trying to understand Chemistry and Calculus. ^_^ I chose German. Don't ask me why. It just...interests me.

But anyhoo, once you have a good understanding of Latin, you can take it in so many directions, and it gives you so many connections into the languages and literature of the modern and ancient world.

Here, I'll teach you my favorite Latin word. Equus. GUess what it means! Just look at a modern word of the English language. Equestrian. This would be pertaining to.....horses!!!!!!!!!!!Yes! Equus means horse!!! A wonderful word, if you ask me. I've already picked out names for my horses(When I finally get some ^_^) Aithon and Podargos. Two horses from the Odyssey. Of course, I'll have to get more than two, because I'll need to give at least one of them a name from LOTR. Bill, perhaps? ^_^
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.