Respond to this messageBack
Original Message
  • We don't need a discount...
    • Octopus
      Posted Apr 26, 2012 6:06 AM

The Wings find themselves with a ton of cash to spend this year on a couple of star players. Whether they can manage to pull it off is a different matter, given all the variables, but we're in a position to throw some money around for the first time since the lockout.

Speaking of the lockout, how do you guys like the effects of the New Parity? I think it sucks, personally. There are no great rivalries, no dominant teams to hate, nobody can keep a great team together for more than a season or two, and everybody is within a chipshot of the playoffs thanks to all the three-point games. Everybody has the same chance of winning the Cup, besides Edmonton and Columbus, who continue to take gas. You like this setup?

Maybe you think I'm bitter about the Wings losing, but that's really not it. My team has had an incredible run, and the core is still solid, with excellent management. We got beat by a red-hot goalie in a series where we had the puck the whole time, and now people are once again declaring the end of the Detroit Red Wings as a competitive franchise. LOL. The Wings had a 23-game home unbeaten streak this year, setting an all-time NHL record, before the wave of injuries hit. Just as we were getting back in gear, as the playoffs began, our sparkplug Helm goes down with a freak injury. It just wasn't in the cards for us this year.

Look at all the teams who have come and gone as contenders, since the Wings became annual threats to go all the way in the '90's. The Sharks, Canucks, Blackhawks, Avalanche, Bruins, etc. Only the Devils have come close to maintaining the level of excellence the Wings have achieved.

Just saying, don't dance on our graves just yet. I like our chances for icing a very competitive team next year, especially if Lids returns, as I think he will. In the meantime, I'm rooting for Nashville to go all the way. Go Preds! I'm a big fan of Barry Trotz, that little troll. wink.gif
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)