Messages remain here indefinitely. Contact Johnny Bob for further information.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

buzzed by helicopters again...

October 19 2003 at 8:28 PM
Johnny Bob  (Login jbob)
Owner
from IP address 209.248.57.111

Sunday
19 October 2003
Mt Vernon IL

TWIMC,

Buzzed by helicopters here all day yesterday and today, I counted 17 low-level passes over our home in residential Mt Vernon. It has been extra heavy all month, a total of 58 incidents here so far in October -- running at or above record noise levels for these beasts of the sky. For further information, please reference:

http://jbob2000.tripod.com/

So I called the Mt Vernon Airport Authority this afternoon, at about 5 PM Sunday, and naturally there was nobody there but their recording gave a number for FBO (whatever that is) 244-7746. So I called them and explained the situation. The fellow who answered the phone was nice. He said they were auctioning off helicopter rides, which was the cause of the extreme disturbance for the last couple of days - and perhaps all this month(?). He said he didn't know they were coming over Mt Vernon and would tell them there were complaints, so they should stop. Thank GOD! At last somebody halfway sane to respond to the terrible noise which they are creating here in Mt Vernon, not to mention the considerable danger involved when one of these ground-hugging whirleybirds crashes into the top of one of our tall oak trees then summersaults into our roof someday.

Those persistent, directly overhead, low level, circling helicopter buzzes did fortunately begin to subside at that point today, but only temporarily, because this problem has been ongoing for several years now. They shouldn't have happened in the first place. It may be fun & recreation for the few people participating, but it is pure torture and devastation to those of us who must try to tolerate the extreme disruptive noise levels involved. When are we supposed to get some sleep, and ordinary peace & quiet? Tell me that, please...

When is the last time one of those helicopter pilots was independently, randomly tested for drugs & alcohol? Their behaviour around here suggests that would be an excellent idea (and probably necessary)!

All we hear is they are "saving lives"? Baloney!!! They're destroying thousands of lives with their extreme noise, causing strokes-heart attacks-hypertension-insomnia-insanity-etc, and the net effect is hugely negative. When will people wake up to the truth and stop swallowing the high-priced PR propaganda they've been shoving down our throats?

End of story, except I think this sort of nonsense is totally intolerable. It needs some prompt action to put a stop to it, hopefully immediately. It's causing a great public danger and a terrible noise pollution problem in Mt Vernon. Add in the hundreds of roaming boomboxes in cars that constantly cruise our streets, and a hundred or more Harley freaks on motorcycles without mufflers (straight pipes), and it's pure hell around here. We no longer have any quality of life.

Thank you for your time.

Johnny Bob

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Johnny Bob
(Login jbob)
Owner

New, All-time Helicopter Noise-Pollution Record Likely This Month...

October 24 2003, 8:57 AM 

New, All-time Helicopter Noise-Pollution Record Likely This Month...

As of October 23, 2003, the count stands at 76 total incidents for the month of October. So it seems likely to break the all-time record of 80 incidents in June 2002. The irresponsible low-altitude buzzes of residential Mt Vernon IL continued in huge fashion today (Oct 23) with 11 total incidents recorded. That is similar to last weekend when it was documented that they were auctioning off helicopter rides at the local airport purely for thrill rides over our town. So the insensitive nature of those responsible is obvious. Their actions indicate that they don't care about the plight of Mt Vernonites who must suffer such unbelievable noise torment at their hands. More updates later, as seem warranted...
JB

Respond to this message   
Johnny Bob
(Login jbob)
Owner

new record set today (Oct 24), 81 buzzes for October 2003, and counting...

October 24 2003, 5:55 PM 

New record set today (Oct 24), 81 buzzes for October 2003, and counting. Those responsible (the "helicopter people") are obviously totally out of touch with Mt Vernon, and perhaps reality.

I won't define "helicopter people" here precisely, for now. I'll have to think about it for awhile. But it includes some locals who encouraged the damned things to come here in the first place, some other locals who have financial interests in their ongoing operations, as well as the out-of-state privately owned helicopter company. We can also toss in the large subsidies which Illinois gives to helicopters, despite the state's dire financial situation.
JB

Respond to this message   
Johnny Bob
(Login jbob)
Owner

now at 97 and counting, for October 2003

October 31 2003, 3:52 AM 

The previous record was 80 buzzes in June 2002, which will be shattered this month, October 2003. With one day remaining in the month (Halloween), the count stands at 97.

Anything can happen; they're unpredictable. They've been known to disappear for a week or more at one extreme (the pleasant one). They've also been known to buzz us almost non-stop for several days in a row, perhaps 15 or more low-level passes over our home in a single day.

It's absolutely terrible, horrible, and we are suffering far beyond any limits we thought possible. Our physical and mental health is deteriorating quickly now. We desperately need assistance from any source to help stop these atrocious assaults on our home and person.

JB

Respond to this message   
Johnny Bob
(Login jbob)
Owner

December 2003 is also very noisy...

December 29 2003, 8:45 AM 

My low-flying helicopter log shows 60 buzzes of our home this month, as of the 29th of December. They're unpredictable, but it could go much larger. It's not unusual now for them to buzz us a half-dozen times per day, sometimes 10-12 times or more per day.

I must wonder what they're carrying to/from the hospitals, if anything. Live people? Body bags? Organs for transplant? Or what? Or are they just shuttle flights without a cargo?

It makes no sense that they would disappear for several days, then display a great flurry of activity in such a short time. I don't think ordinary emergencies in this area can account for such patterns of activity. Occasionally randomness could cause it, but it's a regular repeated pattern. It's like - either they're in town, or they're not. When they're in town, they raise hell. Where do they go when they're not here? It certainly makes their whole operation related to the Mt Vernon hospitals seem optional. So who decides, and how, and about what? What are the criteria? I suspect that as usual it's all about money. The more take-offs and landings, the more government money they get (both the helicopters and the hospitals, probably).
JB

Respond to this message   
Johnny Bob
(Login jbob)
Owner

What happened to the helicopters?

February 2 2004, 11:33 PM 

I almost hesitate to say it, because whenever I get a little optimistic, they start buzzing the hell out of me again. But I haven't heard a helicopter, for sure, for 6 days. There were probably a couple in the distance, but too far away to ID for sure, so I didn't log them.

That's unusual, compared to the prior 6 months. But it isn't unusual compared to pre-Sept2003 when they occasionally disappeared for a week or more.

There have been at least a dozen (12) buzzes here every month for the last 4 years, since I started keeping records in Feb2000. Will Feb2004 be the first month to break that record on the downside? Unlikely, IMHO, but I guess I'm daring to hope a little bit...
JB

Respond to this message   
Johnny Bob
(Login jbob)
Owner

They're back, all hope shattered again...

February 3 2004, 8:23 AM 

They're back.
No sooner do I speak than up pops the devil.
It's weird.
One just went by at the lowest level I've ever seen, couldn't be more than 50 feet over the treetops.
JB

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
  Johnny Bob's   ARCHIVES    CHAT ROOM    HOME    LOCAL-LINKS