<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Message Board Index  

Preparation "H"

January 22 2005 at 9:19 PM
  (Login russan)
from IP address 69.165.50.18

I'm looking for Bruce Sizemore he raced a H/MP Maverick back in the 70's called Preparation "H". Does anybody know him and do you have any photo's of his race cars. The Maverick or the I/Gas Pinto.

Thanks

Andy Russell

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login ripvanwinkle)
Race Fans

Prep H

January 24 2005, 12:15 AM 

He was partners with my neighbor Frank Pryg at the time that they built and campaigned the car. The car stayed at Frank's house and I used to see it all the time. It had a 300 cu in Foord "Big Six" in it with Cleveland heads grafted together on it. Held the H Gas NHRA record four times. They sold the car and started building a Vette Gasser around 1974 or so. They never finished and they quit. Never knew why. Frank moveed out shortly after. I think Frank occasionally drove the car too. National Dragster ran a "Where are they now" article on Sizemore and the car about 2 or 3 years ago. I save bunches of stuff from ND and that artical was one of them. I look through the stuff from time to time and if you have not seen that article, I can look for it for you in about a month. Right now I am trying to finish a new car.

Respond to this message   

(Login russan)

Preparation "H" / Mad Maverick

January 24 2005, 6:51 PM 

Anonymous, thats great I am very interested. My dad also raced a H/MP Maverick in the 70's and was very good friends with Mr. Sizemore. My dad still owns one of the V-8 cylinder heads and its always a great conversation piece. I just restored some pictures of my fathers Maverick for a Christmas present. I started thinking if I could fine some pictures of the Preparation "H" that would be great. I will be more than happy to pay whatever. It would also be nice if we could find Mr. Sizemore. My father John Russell is currently building another Mad Maverick but this one is going to be a V-8 Ford. I'm trying to get him to use the same paint scheem.

Thanks

Andy Russell

Respond to this message   

(Login MalibuStocker)

You might try this

January 25 2005, 7:01 AM 

I have a group on Yahoo that is centered around old Stock/SS and MP class's. There has been some pics posted of both the Maverick and Pinto.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/StockSSDragRacing/?yguid=61941551

Respond to this message   
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
(Login SIXRACER)
Race Fans

Re: Prep H

February 3 2005, 7:25 PM 

Bruce's Maverick ran in H/Modified Production. It used a production head.

He subsequently raced a Don Hardy Pinto, which was essentially a Pro Stocker, in I/Gas class with the Cleveland hybrid head.

He held national records in both cars and, I believe, was World Champion in both cars too. Not sure on the Pinto. In many respects his rides were years ahead of their time.

I'm still running his crankshaft and harmonic balancer in my cars.

Respond to this message   

(Login WorldchampGramp)

Sizemore alive & well

January 27 2012, 9:04 PM 

Race Fans:

Some of the information posted here about me and my (2) most memorable race cars is incorrect. I am happy to report that I recently touched base with John Russell one of my best racing friends who also was a fellow competitor. John and I both competed in the same class H/MP and our Mavericks were almost identical in terms of power train. We both built, drove and did all the engine building on our own cars and of course these were the “good old days” before delay boxes were ever thought of. John lived in Lebanon Ohio , and I lived in Livonia Michigan. Therefore we were both Division 3 competitors. Some of the “Local” weekend modified $$$ showdowns we both competed in were very very interesting. Back then the track owners would advertise that they were having one of these events say somewhere in Ohio or maybe at Milan MI and all the best racers from all of Division 3 would show up to compete for the top prize of as I recall $500 or $1,000 Big money back in 1972-1974. So this is how John and I became wery close as we were among the outnumbered racing a Ford product against mostly GM or MoPar modifieds & Gassers. I remember one race in KY (Clay City?) which was literally in the boon docks, the weight scale was on a hill and I Damn near fell off a cliff getting out of my car. The guy weighing the cars on this rusty scale couldn’t have guessed within 300 lbs as to what the car actually weighed. He asked me what my minimum weight was, wrote that weight on the front window in white liquid shoe stuff along with 11.70 which was the National ET record at the time. Later I was very near the starting line, ready to make a pass, when a disgruntled driver who had just made a run and didn’t believe his time card returned to the starting area, exited his car with revolver in hand and started sprinting up the stairs of the track timing tower (that’s when I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to win “over the locals”) but as fate would have it I did win and took home the bacon. John Russell as I recall was also at this race and through his son Andy can verify the great times we shared as “Fellow Mavericks in Div 3”. I only read a few posts about my car the one by the guy who stated he lived next door to Frank Pryg is totally inaccurate. However, The Mad Frenchman is spot on with his comments and I was surprised to hear that he was still using some of my parts a few years back I am still searching for my beloved “Preparation H” Maverick so if anyone out there has any info as to this cars whereabouts please PM me with contact information. May the “Christmas Tree” be friendly to you on all your racing endeavors.

Warmest Regards, Bruce Sizemore, Sr.
1975 NHRA World Champion-Modified Eliminator, Ontario Motor Speedway
1978 NHRA US Nationals, Modified Eliminator, Raceway Park, Indianapolis, IN

Respond to this message   

(Login donraser)

Preparation H

January 16 2013, 5:49 AM 

Hi Bruce,
Saw this thread on the web and couldn't resist reading it. My Father(Lon Raser) was a well known and respected Ford racer in the Northeast back in the day. In October 63 he purchased the Al Swenson/Al Joniec "Peanuts" 63 1/2 Galaxie(which I have the receipt for).
We also had another friend that loved racing Fords, his name was Elwood Robinson. Yes, he is the one that bought your Preparation H Maverick. He/we ran it, and also put on one of your hybrid heads, until the Modified class got shuffled around and he decided to go to Super Gas with the 6 cyl. The chassis was changed and Elwood passed away before we got to run the car. The last I heard, someone that has a towing company in Delaware has your car. Gary Simpers Sr. in North East, MD told me he had talked to the gentleman and I believe he knows where it may be. Good Luck in your searce, Don Raser 01/16/2013

Respond to this message   

(Login WorldchampGramp)

Preparation H Lost & Found

March 31 2013, 2:41 AM 

Don:

This is the best lead we have had in a long time. Sure would like to track this down and find the car once and for all. Can you email me direct so we can talk and I can find out how to contact these people who may have usefull info. Many Thanks, Bruce Sizemore

Respond to this message   
Fred
(Login 5.0Fred)
Race Fans

Prep H

April 8 2013, 8:22 PM 

As a Ford and Drag Racing lover (and Maverick-Comet owner) that grew up at Milan Dragway in the late 60's early 70's it's good to hear from Bruce.
Bruce I don't know if you have been on YellowBullet.com, but there are racers from all over the country on there. Go to the forums, the first section is the Trash or be Trashed section, stop in the first thread "I'm a Newbie" and introduce your self. After that you can start a new thread, I would start out in the Trash or be Trashed section. If you don't get results there go to the let's talk dragracing section.
Good Luck in your search from a long time fan.

Respond to this message   

(Login lanclos)

found maverick Preparation H

June 23 2013, 10:27 AM 

I found the car, call preparation h maverick,I live in Delaware .the was own by Mr Elwood,have pictures of car of today June 22 2013 can send them ,

Respond to this message   

(Login lanclos)

found maverick Preparation H maverick

June 23 2013, 11:19 AM 

I,found preparation H Maverick.I live in bear Delaware.car use to to belong. to Mr Elwood.he passed i have pictiures as of june 22 2013 i can take any part of the car picture to prove it is.Larry 302 465 8720

Respond to this message   

(Login ponyfinder)

Whereabouts of "Preperation H"

March 22 2014, 7:56 PM 

In 1974 while driving from NJ to the Gatornationals with our own H/MP Maverick, Magnum Six, I saw the former Preperation H on a trailer with plexiglass windows marked for some kind of gas class. Best guess would have been G gas back then. I think the tow vehicle had NY license plates. I never saw it at the track or ever again.

Incidentally, we sold the Magnum Six to Clem LaChance in 1978 and he raced it through the 2011 season after which he passed away suddenly while visiting in Canada I believe. He was about 81 yrs old if I remember right and we were always honored that he kept our original name "Magnum Six" on the side of the hood scoop. He made many changes including a fiberglass nose, coil over rear suspensions, and a C4 sutomatic along with a 9" Ford rear. A great guy. RIP

Google "Mad Frenchman" and you can see Clem making a 10.76 pass at Lebanon Dragway.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Preparation "H"
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Message Board Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement