Return to Index  

Hello 11900~ Goodbye 11887

November 5 2005 at 10:53 AM
No score for this post
idarick  (Login idarick)

For this discussion you will want the Standhope Peak 7.5 min topographic sheet, and TL's guidebooks:pg 200 in the 1990 edition and pg 254 in the 2000 version. The so-called Peak 11887' has a south to north physiographic shape of hump, sag, point, and then a slight concave drop to its 11410' saddle with Standhope Peak. "Hump" has a spot elevation of 11887'. Both it and "point" have a highest enclosed contour of 11880'. "Point's" contour is a tad larger and I contend it is the highest point of the mountain. On occasion, spot elevations on USGS maps do not represent the actual high point. Accepted map reading procedure allows for an elevation estimation by halving to the next higher contour- in this case 11900~. I have made no other measurements other than visual. Yet, from several different angles, distances, and elevations "point" always looks higher than "hump".
Climbing over and around the many fin like short towers and narrow ledges of the north ridge you won't know you're on top of "point" until you get there. When you are there you will know it. On my 1993 visit I found 3 rocks neatly placed on the chest height summit ledge, but no other identification. I'm aware of a few others of the older generation who have since climbed it and it shouldn't be long before the new generation of cyber-climbers describe this mountain. I will place even money on Dan, IdahoKid, BigLost, and Brendon (though this is NOT a good 360 peak). Good luck guys!
By the way, my name calls on a double-entendre word play- HOPE TO STAND PEAK. Others use the descriptor THE FIN. Anyone who has experience on this guardian of Idaho's highest lake, please share. My apologies to White Cap Peak 11899' for getting bumped down a notch on the Idaho peaks ranking list.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses