Return to Index  

Re: Top 5 Lost River Ski Lines?

March 28 2012 at 8:09 PM
No score for this post
Jim C.  (Login Skibc)

Response to Top 5 Lost River Ski Lines?

Because I don't know which lines get the most traffic, I'll turn Dean's question into which are my personal Top 5 lines that I have skied in the few years I've been doing the LRR spring / summer pilgrammage. I'm just a newbie here.

(1) Leatherman. Big and bold. I've done it the 4 past years in a row, with 3 of those being solo trips, and every time has been excellent corn snow. Views along the drive to the trailhead are worth the trip alone. As are views from the summit ridge toward Bad Rock and Church. I think it's best approached by parking vehicle where the East and West Fork roads split and riding a bike from there. Streak might be broken this year unless the LRR April snow machine kicks in.

(2) North side of Borah. I've not skied the North Face, just the ramps beneath it. One feels small staring up at the Face.

(3) Supergully. Long and consistently good pitch. Easy approach for an LRR line, almost too easy.

(4) Mahogany Chutes (11452). Probably not skied much. Do one, then the other. Can get to trailhead with 2wd. After skiing, it's worth hiking to the overlook of Borah North Face.

(5) Mule Springs Gully in Doublesprings Pass. Another one with easy approach, which I've skied it more than any other line. Sweeping views of the Pass and Dickey. Can be combined with other lines in Doublesprings, including those in Buck Creek and Cayuse Canyon.

And then there's my to-do list.

(1) Tomahawk on 11909.

(2) NW face of Doublesprings Peak.

(3) SE line on Al West.

(4) S face of Breitenbach.

(5) NE side of Church.

Let's hope the LRR season actually happens this year!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses