Return to Index  

Our TR

April 16 2012 at 10:11 PM
No score for this post

Kevin Hansen  (Login climbinghalfdome)

Response to Freeze/thaw cycle in the Lost River Range?

While looking for treasures on the East side of the Range we discovered a nice treat.
Chad and I tried to go into the Upper Pahsimeroi three weeks ago, not sure if there was so much snow we would need a sled, but maybe there is too little snow to use the sled on.
[linked image]
Turns out there wasn't enough snow to sled, and too much to drive on.
[linked image]
When it came to getting down to Mohogany Creek there was a snow drift that covered the whole road. What do you do? Plow the road, by hand! Yea this drift was 4 feet deep by 30 yards long.
[linked image]
Saturday we drove with in 30 minute walk of the camp site, and woke up to 15 degrees.
[linked image]
This is the camp, still under 3 feet of snow. Its nice to walk on in the morning because its styrophome. By afternoon its perfect for corn skiing.
[linked image]
Note Leatherman on the right, and its neighbor 11,909 on the left. Again, if I was into skiing, I'd be making tracks for these peaks ASAP. For you Ice Climbers, look closely on the lower left ridge and you'll see a small tine line.
[linked image]
Just incase you couldn't see it.
[linked image]
[linked image]
Great route. Two pitches. Bottom one went at WI 4- and was a full rope stretcher at 60 meters. The top pitch was a low sloper and was maybe a WI 2, but it did have a 25 foot hanging curtain at the top. It was WI 3. Good times until we had to hike out. Forgor the snow shoes and post holed the whole way out (4 miles worth.)
[linked image]
Is this Idaho or White Cap? Either way, Upper Pahsimeroi is open for business. We didn't see much other ice yet. Maybe next month.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses