Return to Index  

Weiser River Trail

May 23 2012 at 4:45 PM
No score for this post
pat  (no login)

There have certainly been some interesting climbs posted recently. While you all were scaling the heights, my wife, Vicki, and I were cycling down the Weiser River Trail from New Meadows to Weiser. I had heard of the trail, yet I had never met anyone who had actually done it. It's 85 miles of converted railroad bed and except for the flat stretches through Council, Midvale and Weiser, is quite interesting. About 60 miles of the 85 are great! At times you are far from any road. Even when the road is close, it seems far away. Sort of like when rafting near a highway, you don't really notice it. We saw 3 hikers, 2 horseback riders, lots of deer, goats and birds, and a few snakes. We saw only one other cyclist the entire distance. We even saw a bear! That was a treat. There are long stretches of crushed rock which can be tiresome, but for the most part, the trail is decent. Cycling with only a rain shirt, change of clothes, and a credit card is certainly the way to go.

We shuttled the cars on the evening of the eclipse and caught this view of the sun through a cloud near Payette.
[linked image]

The upper 15 miles are forested.
[linked image]

The lower 70 miles are not.
[linked image]

There is lots of great scenery and plenty of solitude.
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses