Return to Index  

Mount Washington? BSA Climbing Certification

June 8 2012 at 4:12 PM
No score for this post

Kevin Hansen  (Login climbinghalfdome)

Did you know that in order to 'assist' with the boy scouts at a climbing area, you need to log onto myscouting.org and watch a 30 minute "Climb on Safety" video and take a test, then and only then can you 'help' with a climbing activity.
BUT you still can't take scouts climbing.
Did you know that in order to take scouts climbing, you must first attend a ten hour training costing $50, and after you do that, you will receive your "Climbing Instructor Certification".
Did you know that the closest person in all of Idaho and Utah that can teach this "Climbing Instructor Certification" lives in Provo. It's close to $2,000 to bring him here to Idaho to teach a ten hour class. Lets pretend I just take a few boys climbing, and something bad happens. Not only could the boy's parents sue me, but the BSA could sue me as well. After I get this magical training, the boys parents could only sue the BSA because they trained me.
So I get to thinking, how does a guy get to the point where he can teach this "Climbing Instructor Certification"?
Did you know that you have to go to National Camp School for a seven day course that costs $475 to be able to teach people how to take thier scouts climbing and hand out "Climing Instructor Certifications".
IF I DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER, THE BSA IS JUST USING ALL THESE TRAININGS TO MAKE A TON OF MONEY OFF OF VOLENTEERS!
So I just siged up for National Camp School to get the "Climbing Director" training. This will make it so I can teach people how to climb and take their scouts climbing on thier own.
The School is located in New York State. I already climbed "Mount Marcy" when I was there last Sept while building a Straw Bale House. Now I'm looking to climb Mount Washington, in New Hampshire. Anyone ever climbed her? Looking at the Web Cam there isn't any snow left on Her.http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/presidentials/
Anyone know of good routes? I'll have about one day available.
Kevin
Anyone want to join me? I'll climb either Friday June 22nd or Saturday the 23rd. After that I hope to go to a few other high points in near by states.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses