Return to Index  

Re: As long as we're counting

June 17 2012 at 10:08 PM
No score for this post
crappyclimber  (no login)

Response to Re: As long as we're counting

I was at Mt Hood skiing yesterday and tried to talk to the ranger about this accident. He was not willing to say anything other than people shouldn't be climbing solo on such a "dangerous" mountain. Not wanting to spark endless debate and arguments, I politely thanked him and found a couple of climbers who had just descended who looked like they knew what they were doing.
They said the conditions were about as perfect as you could get for the Hogsback /Pearly gates route.
They said they knew the climber who died and he was trying to climb to the "Old Chute" to climbers left, which is a steeper, but more aesthetic route and less climbed. (I have climbed this route, and agree totally).
They didn't know for sure, but thought that his steps had collapsed from under him by the slide path, as that was why they were climbing, so they could see where the accident happened.
We saw a group of 3 headed up that route Sat afternoon, but they quit before summiting. There was a wet sluff avalanche on that route this morning (Sun) that wasn't there on Saturday afternoon too. Who knows, it could have been really soft up there on the face.
It was certainly soft for skiing, but who can complain about tons of corn snow and riding the lifts instead of skiing in June.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message