Return to Index  

Finger of Fate TR and found gear

June 24 2012 at 5:14 PM
No score for this post
  (Login CoryHarelson)

Climbed the Open Book route on the Finger of Fate yesterday. What a fun climb, and cool summit!

We found some practically new looking gear on the route that we collected. It looked like someone bailed from halfway up the second pitch. If the gear is yours email me with a description of what it is and I'll try to get it back to you, otherwise I'll consider it BOOTY!

Here are some pictures from yesterday:

Finger of Fate from Hell Roaring Lake, where the mosquitoes are out in full force
[linked image]

The FOF Above the unnamed lake to its east
[linked image]

There was still quite a bit of snow on the approach and descent, making travel in approach shoes tricky. Due to the hot weather it was soft enough to be manageable, but if we had gotten down later, or if it were colder, I would definitely have been wishing I'd brought an axe . . .
[linked image]

The route was composed of mostly excellent rock and splitter cracks. We linked the last two pitches into one SUPER pitch that started with an incredible hand crack, then an unprotected 5.5 slab to get you warmed up for the spicy finish: a 30 foot unprotected "boulder problem" to gain the top of the summit block. Except for the rope drag it was awesome! In this photo my friend Chris follows the excellent hand crack on pitch one.
[linked image]

Still plenty of snow to be skied in the Sawtooths . . .
[linked image]

The view from the summit
[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses