Return to Index  

Recent Adventures

August 2 2012 at 9:14 AM
No score for this post
Matt  (no login)

A little late on this post but recently I was able to bag 5 peaks in both Idaho and Utah.

Peak #1 Mt. Nebo, UT. 11,928 ft.
Peak #2 North Peak, UT. 11,150+ Ft.
Unfortunately my external hard drive went wacko yesterday and I lost the pictures from this day.

After doing Nebo/North I took off for Idaho to meet Mike F. with the intent to do Castle. I got to the 4th of July TH and was going to do Blackman Peak while I waited for Mike. I got about halfway up and heard some branches break up ahead of me. when I looked up I saw this mamma bear and her cub right in front of me.
[linked image]

I decided to turn around and head back rather than crash through the brush in the dark and hope to not run in the the bears. Mike showed up at about 10:30 PM and we camped at the trailhead. The next morning we planned to hike in to Washington Lake and set up camp and then go do Castle. We got to the top of the Splattski shortcut above the lake and saw some scary looking weather rolling in so we called it off. This was our view though.
[linked image]

After backing off Castle we started hiking out and the weather cleared. Frustrated, we decided to tag 4th of July Peak on our way out. Here's out View from the top. Peak #3 4th of July Peak 10,713 ft.
[linked image]

We were planning on heading over to Thompson that night to hike in and camp but there were some issues that prevented us from doing so so we opted for an easier day the next day on Grays Peak in the Pioneers. Peak #4 Grays Peak 10,563 ft.
Here's our Splattski on the summit.
[linked image]

And a summit panorama.
[linked image]?t=1343884806

After Grays I headed home to SLC but I wasn't finished then. On July 24th (Pioneer Day in Utah) I got the day off and headed to the Uintas with a friend to do Hayden Peak. Peak #5 Hayden Peak 12,479 ft. Hayden peak is the second highest mountain I've been on and is a great climb. It is mostly class 3 with one or two short sections of class 4 and is probably one of the more rugged peaks in the Uintas.

One of the Class 4 sections.
[linked image]

Summit Splattski
[linked image]

Exiting one of the more difficult sections. This gully leads up to near the summit.
[linked image]

Great trip!
[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses