Return to Index  

Synching Petros TR

September 26 2012 at 6:04 PM
No score for this post

Geo  (Login George_R)

9/3/12 - When we turned off of Trail Ck road onto Old Chilly road, John stopped the truck and got out saying that it felt like the truck was pulling to the right. ...Trail Ck had struck again! The right front tire was low. This was John's first flat on Trail Ck. ...He was long overdue. 12 minutes later, we had the tire changed and everything put away. It was dark when we reached the Christian Gulch turnoff from Doublespring road and we almost drove past the water tank and our turn. Our plan was to take the long but "pleasant stroll route" up the valley east of Pavlos to climb Petros Peak via its SE ramp. (anybody know the name of this canyon?) We drove as far as we dared in the dark ...and now without a spare tire, then stopped and started to set up camp. Something had punctured our water jug, which had leaked all over the truck bed and soaked my cot, but there was still enough water left to top off the bladders. Setting up camp was quick (after I had dried my bed by the fire), since we were just cot-camping under the stars.
[linked image]

I had climbed Petros last year on the 2011 Fall Outing, but John couldn't make that trip. I figured if things got too bad, I could just bid him farewell and take a nap in a green meadow somewhere. happy.gif Our route had a very unique approach for a high peak. The canyon bottom only has a few short sections of exposed stream bed. In most places the runoff just soaks into the ground. The approach consists of forested sections, the aforementioned green meadows with natural dams:
[linked image]

...a huge avalanche debris flow:
[linked image]

...and awesome scenery.
[linked image]
(this one is not on my list)

[linked image]

Other than the avalanche debris area, and a few short dead fall sections, we were able to stay in the canyon bottom all the way up.

Here's the summit chimney and part of the ledge route taken last fall by the IS crew.
[linked image]

slideshow_icon.jpg

Our completed 11ers lists were now in synch, and we had a six pack to go...
-George

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Nice work. - Kevin Hansen on Sep 27, 2012, 9:55 AM
  •