Return to Index  

Trundling Rattlesnake Mountain

June 14 2016 at 10:20 PM
No score for this post
Rodolfo  (Login rodolfoj)

Being on my own on Sunday, it was a good day to visit a mountain not far from Boise. I was curious about Rattlesnake, because it looked like a very scenic hike.

It is not far in miles, but it took about two hours to get there. The roads were in good shape, even the last section before Tipton campground -bless the Forest Service, my tires are grateful. Driving Blacks Creek Road into the South Fork canyon was an experience.

On the left side of this photo you see a very apparent gully, I hiked up the ridge to the left of the gully. From the trailhead there is a road that pretty much takes you to the start of this ridge. It is then a roll-your-own-trail kind of affair to the top of the main ridge -easy except for a nasty thicket of brambles.

LTKE1VfWt4TldFtBCXJqbdJ9yS3RzA2GYfZbWyY6

After hitting the top there was a pleasant walk to the mountain, but the desolation of the landscape struck me. I knew the area had been affected by fire, but I thought there would be hints of a recovery. A firebreak was still visible close to the top of the ridge.

6cWXaed2Vxlt5SGpf5pfONBXE88ANGdg1Omfi8Ne

There was a register dating back to 2005, and somebody had been there the week before.

PMxJLBYfVXP85dvcH4_Uvelm0lwa6vjTZEzservr

After enjoying the views at the top I continued along the ridge to meet the very civilized Devil's Creek trail that leads back to the campground -loops are nice.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses