Return to Index  

My Experience

August 22 2017 at 4:56 PM
No score for this post

Dan  (Premier Login bigdan_boise)
Owner

Response to Totality

We had plans that ranged from being in the Sawtooths, to Lost Rivers, and then in the Boulders. The night before we decided we wanted an easier option so we could sleep in and pack chairs to the top of some peak. So we changed plans last minute to Swenson Butte near Chilly Flat.

It was such a last minute change that I hadn't even thought about others being on the peak. So as we neared the peak coming from Copper Basin, I immediately noticed about 10 people already on the summit at 9am. As we drove to the base of the peak, there were lots of hikers heading up the road and on the peak itself. I must say I was a bit surprised!

When we got on top I noticed a crystal on the summit cairn. It was just like the "leaverite" crystal I found in the Sawtooths, so I showed my wife. Immediately after I touched the crystal, a woman shrieked that it was hers and it was "charging" on the summit. I kindly put it down and assured her that I was just showing it to someone.

Later I would find out that the bulk of the 100 of so people on the top were a group that normally does the Burning Man festival together... interesting, but fun group! Just before the eclipse, a young lady wearing lunar tights and an alien headband insisted that the vibe on the summit was negative and she moved lower near where we were and lit her incense stick to purify the atmosphere.

Totality from Swenson Butte:
2017 Solar Eclipse at Totality

Our interesting group of eclipse watchers on top of Swenson:
Swenson Butte

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses