Return to Index  

Carry or Wear question

August 23 2017 at 7:23 AM
No score for this post
Tod  (Login tgunter)

Hi all,

Wanted to get your input on the carry vs wear question in regards to approaching alpine climbs. I'm always interested in playing with my systems and more and more I've seen people hiking in tennies and carrying their boots, even in situations that seem absurd (i.e. Short approaches to spring snow climbs) I used to tromp around in my mountain boots all the time and only trade them out for rock shoes on technical climbs but am trying to be a bit smarter these days.

Wondering what people use as criteria?

More specifically: here is the situation I am contemplating: I'm planning to climb the NF of Borah this weekend in a day via the Mike Howard traverse. I was thinking of approaching and descending in my trail running shoes and carrying my Nepals. Thought about using my Trangos for the whole thing but they're pretty light if we hit a lot of ice like I think we may. Could just tromp it out in my Nepals but the saying is "a pound on the foot equals five on the back" and my trail runners are pretty light.

Just wondering about others thought processes.

Thanks!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses