Return to Index  

Google Earth images

August 25 2017 at 9:40 AM
No score for this post
Cody  (Login dblblack)

Response to This is cool!

In answer to Scott's question regarding how often the Google Earth views are updated, it seems to vary by location, but a rough estimate that I've seen in this area of North America is roughly every year or so. The interesting thing is that you can click the icon in Google Earth in the lower left area of the screen that has a clock and a year. It will pop up a slider in the upper left and you can then go back in history and select different shots for that "quadrant" that you are viewing. It will change the view to the historical version.

My own little personal "cool" thing that is now a part of that history involves the Middle Teton Glacier. On August 13th or 14th of 2011, my son and I climbed and skied from as far up as the snow was continuous, at about 12,300. We left some nice tracks of our turns that were visible on the glacier. On 8/19/2011 the satellite flew over and captured the image of those tracks. So, my "pretty cool Google Earth experience" is that our ski tracks are now a part of history!

Here is the video link that documents the experience:https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=vl50GgOdeMM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses