Return to Index  

More fire thoughts

September 6 2017 at 6:10 PM
No score for this post
Ray Brooks  (no login)

Response to Re: Thoughts on past & current Forest Service Fire Policies.

John: Thank you for your well-thought out input. Re your statement about old-growth forests being more fire-resistant, that achievement was the Holy Grail of Forest Service fire policies between 1910 & 1995, when one of the objectives was to replace the very-burnable Lodgepole Pine forests with more fire resistant species such as Douglas Fir & Ponderosa Pine & wetter ecosystem species like Spruce & Alpine Fir.

In 1972, I did a long hike about 10 miles below the Boundary Creek Lauch area on the Middle Fork Salmon. I was thrilled to see Douglas Firs sprouting through the Lodgepole Pines away from the river & Spruce starting to shade out the Lodgepole Pines in wetter areas & near the river.

In late Sept of 1985, I drove the scenic road that goes from Stanley, through Bear Valley & on to Warm Lake & Cascade (The Landmark Stanley Road). A huge fire had recently burned from the mountains east of the Middle Fork, almost all the way to Deadwood Summit. It was burning in places as I drove un-impeded through the edge of the fire & fire-fighters were few & far-between. Finally after about 15 miles of burning forest, near Deadwood Summit, I found one firefighter watching flames slowly backing down a slope towards him 1/4 mile away. I stopped & chatted him up about what had happened. He explained that all the fire-crews had been disbanded at the end of summer & the local National Forest only had a couple of dozen fire-fighters available. They hadn't had a chance of stopping the fire. Between that fire & later ones, my dreams of a more fire-retardant ecosystem on the upper Middle Fork Salmon were all burned up.

I'll agree that a lot of our current smoke is not coming from fires in Wilderness areas, but the current largest fire in Idaho is the Highline Fire: (70,938 acres) in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness & there are various other fires churning out smoke in that wilderness & the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness. I am distressed that most all of the Middle Fork Salmon & Main Salmon River canyons have burned since 2000 in a too-long series of huge unfought fires.

And lastly, although I remember a lot of facts about the 1910 Big Burn that triggered the Forest Service No Burn policy, I visited Wikipedia to supplement my memory this morning. I regret to inform fellow Wikipedia fans that Wiki neglected mentioning the Big Burn combined hundereds of small fires, some of which had been burning for weeks, when a "wind event" hit the area. The wind & the ensuing fatalities were over in two days, but the fires lasted all summer. Also the Big Burn was the 3rd largest forest fire in U.S. history, not the largest.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses