Return to Index  

Re: More fire thoughts

September 6 2017 at 8:47 PM
No score for this post

splattski  (Login splattski)

Response to More fire thoughts

I think the 1910 conflagration was a whole series of lightning strikes across the Idaho/Montana border area?
There was also a huge burn in Oregon about that time, in the Coast Range out toward Astoria.
So there are different ways to measure the severity of these things: acres burned, board feet burned, people killed, etc.

When we talk about "destruction of the forest" I find it interesting to read historical books about the Forest Service and the viewpoints over time. Both logging and fires. Example: "From Jamestown to Coffin Rock, A History of Weyerhaeuser Operations in Southwest Washington": in the '30s, before machinery was used, a good sawyer could knock down 100,000 board feet in a day. Imagine what that number, with those old growth forests, would be today!
Especially interesting: seeing the photos of huge trees, millions of acres of them, growing so close you could touch two 10' trees (or bigger) with your outstretched arms. ....not anymore, tho!

My "best" fire memory comes from when in 2005 we walked from Sandy Point to Redfish Lake (we like to call it "Boise to Stanley"). Our route unintentionally went from one burn to another. I didn't emphasize that in the trip report, but we talked about it during our hike. And you can sure see it in the pictures:
http://www.splattski.com/2005/b_s/index.html

In McCall, we're reminded of fires every day. The Blackwell fire and others happened in the early 90s. On just about every hike, I have to crawl over the downfall. And the brush is coming back thick (not so much the trees).

One method of dealing with the downfall is to head for any standing green trees- it's almost always easier going under the canopy.

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message