Return to Index  

Last of the summer wine.

November 2 2017 at 7:07 PM
No score for this post

BeDrinkable  (Login BeDrinkable)

I mean whine.

I knew that the warm weather was truly on its way out, so I had to get up. As always, possibilities danced in my head. Was I up for driving a while? Yeah, no. How about sleeping in and going on a bike ride? Maybe ... but I talked myself into a day trip to the Boulders. Last year I went up Easley with and eye to the connecting ridge to Cerro Ciento but had turned around due to wind. And being a wuss. So maybe I'll complete that journey!

Per my usual, slept in later than was ideal, but what the hell: that's what a day off is for. Drove up Spring Creek for a bit, parked and then started hoofing it up the road. No one was about except one guy cutting some firewood, so I had the place to myself. Bit of a breeze, but not as cold as I expected. The views to the Smokies are always great from here:

[linked image]

And there is already some snow starting to bunch up in the shadows of the peaks. The temps did drop, but nowhere near enough to be truly uncomfortable. The ridge is a nice walk. And you get to look over the edge from the top, where Lorenzo absolutely dominates the drainage:

[linked image]

The cornices are starting to form and it won't be long now!

[linked image]

There were some flurries around, but the snow mostly held off. Besides, what's the saying? A bad day in the mountains is better than a good day anywhere else.

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses