Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Thanks Wes
    • Rick (Login Rickeast208)
      Posted Sep 13, 2010 3:40 PM

Appreciate feedback from someone who knows that country well. Paul might be interested to know whether your unplanned trip (i.e. SAR?) took you to the top of MCH?
      btw/ I frequently enjoy reading of your exploits in the Advertiser. Was particularly moved by, and proud of, your timely skill in the cliff rescue of the girl stuck on Number Hill. Keep up the good work, Lone Ranger!

Now, more history:

[linked image]
      Israel Cook Russell (1852-1906) was born in New York State and educated at Columbia School of Mines. In 1878 he served with the Wheeler Survey under JJ Stevenson (the man who MAY HAVE? climbed Grand Teton in 1872).
      He began with USGS in 1880 and studied the desert basins of the west.
      In 1891 his expedition almost made the first ascent of Mount St Elias.
      In 1898 he studied the glaciers of Mt Rainier.
      USGS photo, Baugher collection.

[linked image]
      View S to East Butte (Twin Buttes) in Snake River Plain, 35 miles west of Idaho Falls. IC Russell photo, 1902
      This takes us back to a more peaceful time- before the dozens of communications towers, before roads, before the nuclear test site.
      In 1913 TM Bannon used East Butte for triangulation, and built a 7' high monument on top. 'Nearest water- William Dalzer's ranch 7 miles southwest.'
      Photo courtesy USGS.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address