Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Sled.
    • Luddite (Login KingLudd)
      Posted Feb 10, 2012 2:15 PM

My two cents is that the cheap ones suck nuts. I tried over the years to make them work. They don't. A frozen deer turd will tip them over if they have much more than a sandwich loaded in them.

I have used two different types with success. One is an "Expedition Sled" that used to be sold at R.E.I. It was taller than the cheap ones, wider, with a flat bottom and had NO flex in it. It was long, though!

It's not currently at R.E.I. but here is what it is:
      Expedition Sled

The next evolution came with this sled:
      Ice Fishing Sled

Here it is packed with everything for a trip to the Tetons. It's not packed well and things are left willy-nilly to give the impression that I was prepared with all the correct gear.

P3130001.JPG

I have made some mods on it. I added gromets down the side to spiderweb the gear in. Also they act as a stronger attatchment point for ridgid poles. There are "fins" made from 1X1 angle aluminum that I can attach to keep it from sliding on moderate sidehills. I also did this for tacking in the wind since at SOME point I will kite-ski with it. It's a good size because I have a 40L and a 60L pack that fits down in it perfectly and you can wear it like a backpack with your touring pack on your front or strapped to the top. I skied out of the bush on Moran that way.

If you are into building a sled a recommended read is this:
      http://www.skipulk.com/images/stories/pdfs/pulkbook.pdf

Lot's of good ideas. But if you really want to haul on a sled, then you'll need to borrow one of Heath's sleds:

snowmachine.jpg

How's the skiing over there, by the way?
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address