Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Lost River Peak TR
    • Oleg (Login iddayhiker)
      Posted Jul 1, 2012 2:11 PM

Yesterday, I did a solo climb of the River Peak via Super gully on a beautiful sunny day. I followed the directions that are detailed at the Idahosummits.com to get to the trailhead. The water level in the canal was about 10 15 inches and there were no problems for my Subaru Outback to cross.

The hike began at 6:55 AM and by 10:03 AM, I reached the last remnants of the snow field in the gully at 11,172 ft, where I put on crampons and snow climbed about 300 feet vertical. The snow was already a little soft on the top, but was still firm underneath to kick in the steps. The snow section of the climb was pretty steep with most likely a 40-50° angle. After removing my crampons, I initially continued to the right on a big nasty scree/talus field, but then after gaining enough elevation, traversed to the ridge on the left at 11,625 ft. From there, it was a straightforward hike on the ridge towards the false and true summits. There was a log book in the box, but no pen or pencil to make an entry. It would be a good idea to bring one up, if anybody plans to climb this peak soon. It was a minor disappointment for the day though After spending ~1/2hr at the top, I headed back the same way I came up. There was a lot of scree surfing, which was rather fast on the descent. I passed the snow field I used to climb up on my left. Going down was uneventful and I reached my car shortly after 3 PM. Overall, it was a good day in the Idaho high mountains, which gave me the 3rd 12er and left with 6 more to go. Now, its time to watch the Euro 2012 Cup final game between Spain and Italy. ¡Viva la roja!

Here is a link to pictures:http://www.flickr.com/photos/28779709@N05/sets/72157630375613042/
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)