<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Be Careful...

January 20 2010 at 9:27 AM
No score for this post
Dan  (no login)

A few observations over the past 3 days have raised some caution in me about avalanches:
1. On a Sunday snowshoe, Zach and I observed an ice layer about 1/2 an inch thick on top of the snow. Common sense tells me that when snow falls on top of that, it is going to slide fairly easily.
2. I was in Hailey on Monday and Tuesday. Monday morning saw 2 inches of new wet snow. Tuesday morning saw 7 or 8 inches of heavy wet snow.
3. On the way home I saw several small slides right along highway 20 around Cat Creek Summit. All of them were on windloaded slopes that were loaded by an east wind. All of them were very deep and slabby, I would say 2 or 3 feet deep.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Be Careful...

No score for this post
January 21 2010, 8:08 AM 

Another 9 inches in that area again last night. See the avalanche report, they have photos of a few slides.

anonymous
(no login)

Best source............

No score for this post
January 21 2010, 8:31 AM 

........to look for avalanche reports??

Anonymous
(no login)

Avalanche Advisories

No score for this post
January 21 2010, 8:51 AM 

Current Topic - Be Careful...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index