<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Spring forward

March 13 2011 at 7:39 AM
No score for this post

splattski  (Login splattski)

Welcome to Daylight Savings Time. Get that headlamp back out again.

Speaking of spring, SuperDave and I climbed Spring Mountain yesterday:
http://www.splattski.com/2011/spring/index.html

Anyone else get out and enjoy the powder?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Matt
(Login mtybumpo)

Awesome TR

No score for this post
March 13 2011, 11:07 AM 

Looks like you guys had a blast. I wish I could have made it!

Jim C.
(Login Skibc)

Re: Spring forward

No score for this post
March 13 2011, 11:13 AM 

Nice report, Splattski. Those are great views you guys had. As you noted, those high overcast days are very scenic.

I was also able to get out yesterday to enjoy the fine March powder on north-facing slopes. It was another "one of the best days of the season":

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Looks like more snow in the forecast this week. Should be more "best days" in the near future!

Jim

splattski
(Login splattski)

No score for this post
March 13 2011, 3:40 PM 

You, Sir, are the King.

Jim C.
(Login Skibc)

No score for this post
March 14 2011, 1:58 PM 

Nope, just Commoner, working in the powder fields. "Just another bro in the skintrack", as they would say now.

I'm fortunate to have outstanding touring partners and a flexible enough life and work schedule that I can get the snow while it's good.

Jim

Jim C.
(Login Skibc)

No score for this post
March 17 2011, 10:42 PM 

Yeah, hard not to feel like a king on a sunny powder day like today.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

John F
(Login fadgmo)

Avy danger

No score for this post
March 18 2011, 10:24 AM 

Jim, we always look forward to your pictures. Great shots!

Any signs of avalanche danger out towards Pilot Peak? Looking to get out tomorrow and the avy forecast hasn't been looking too good.

(Login Skibc)

Re: Avy danger

No score for this post
March 18 2011, 12:25 PM 

John,

We saw no signs of snowpack instability yesterday.

Keep in mind there is no avalanche forecast for the Boise Mountains. Those from nearby areas can be used as rough guides to what one might expect in the Boise Mountains, but should not be used in place of an actual forecast, or more importantly, your own observations or those of ski partners who were out skiing when you were not.

I expect the skiing to be quite good this coming weekend.

Jim

Jim C.
(Login Skibc)

Re: Avy danger

No score for this post
March 19 2011, 9:42 PM 

Snowpack at Mores Creek Summit is a tale of two dust layers.

One was deposited near the end of the January to February dry spell, above the MLK rain crust. The other was deposited on Friday. Between them is 1.25 m of right-way-up snow without any appreciable rapid density changes or weak layers, aside from a couple narrow graupel layers. A photo from a N-facing slope at 7400':
[linked image]

The older dust layer is at the top of the shovel blade. The recent one is 2cm below the surface.

A column test showed failure on the MLK rain crust, just below the older dust layer, at CT16:
[linked image]

Today's Sawtooth avalanche advisory has a good discussion of these issues:
http://www.sawtoothavalanche.com

As usual, the boys were flying all around:
[linked image]

It snowed heavily at times:
[linked image]

[linked image]

But was also partly sunny:
[linked image]

[linked image]

And completely sunny:
[linked image]

[linked image]

A big group today. We moved together well:
[linked image]

I expect Sunday will feature more good skiing.

SeanD
(no login)

Great

No score for this post
March 13 2011, 2:47 PM 

Looked like a great day. Nice TR! I'm not near my mapping software, but just a guess would say the peak on the left is the hulking yet majestc Elk peak. It looks like the north side you skirt under to find the gap on the east ridge, when approached from upper Redfish Creek.

splattski
(Login splattski)

Elk Peak

No score for this post
March 13 2011, 3:40 PM 

Sean-
After discussing/arguing for a while, we found that this perspective left us having to guess at some really major peaks.
I think we decided that Elk is a few degrees farther East. I took a picture of it and just added it to the TR. The peak in question here seems to have a bunch of little spires, and I don't think Elk has those?
Here is the peak we think is Elk:
[linked image]

Matt
(Login mtybumpo)

Re: Elk Peak

No score for this post
March 13 2011, 3:55 PM 

If it's not elk then could it be Packrat or tohobit?

SeanD
(no login)

Re: Elk Peak

No score for this post
March 13 2011, 11:12 PM 

Yes, the new picture is Elk for sure. Where were the Rakers relative to the shot of Plummer and Everly? One thought, is the peaks on the left are the Pinchot, Rakers complex?

SeanD
(no login)

Garden Creek Peak 9765?

No score for this post
March 13 2011, 11:46 PM 

just south of Cony Peak. Compare ridgelines in photos: I don't think it's Tohobit, but Matt's guess of Packrat seems plausible, also.

[linked image]

[linked image]

splattski
(Login splattski)

Re: Garden Creek Peak 9765?

No score for this post
March 14 2011, 6:41 AM 

Sean-
I think that's it. I was thinking that we might be sighting down the ridge that holds Cony. The spires in your picture appear to match up.
Warbonnet was off to the left a ways, and we were guessing that Packrat was out of sight behind there somewhere. I think I'd recognize the mouse ears.

SeanD
(no login)

Garden Creek Peak

No score for this post
March 14 2011, 11:01 AM 

impressive looking peak when view from the north. Thanks for the geo-puzzle.

(no login)

No score for this post
March 14 2011, 8:56 PM 

Yep John, I think you called it right during our climb. Great views from that ridge, a unique angle on the Sawtooths.

idpeakgirl
(no login)

No score for this post
March 16 2011, 6:23 PM 

Excellent TR, geo-game, and photos on this great area. Thanks all!

Current Topic - Spring forward
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index