<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Vitamen I

March 20 2012 at 12:35 PM
No score for this post
SummitGirl  (no login)

I usually take this for preventative body-ache measures...interesting that it may help you be successful in not getting sick.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/20/ibuprofen-may-ward-off-altitude-sickness/?hpt=hp_t3

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
splattski
(no login)

Re: Vitamen I

No score for this post
March 20 2012, 12:59 PM 

It would make sense that Vitamin I would help with the first symptom of AMS: headaches.

Although I never take that big of a dose (usually just 200mg), I've had good success with Ibu, which allowed me to get back to sleep after I awoke with major headache on several occasions at 13 and 14K.

Surprising that it would help with stomach sickness, though. One of the side effects of Ibuprofen itself can be upset stomach. Maybe boisedoc will chime in here.

It might be interesting to hear how many of the folks on this board have had mild or major symptoms of AMS, at what altitude, etc. Gang?

Matt
(Login mtybumpo)

No score for this post
March 20 2012, 1:07 PM 

The only time I've ever really felt any AMS symptoms (headache, nausea) was when I did the Super Gully on Lost River. I never had any trouble on any of the other 12ers though so I think it may have been caused by the fact that the Super Gully gains elevation much more quickly than any of the other standard 12er routes and I was moving up it pretty fast. I didn't really feel anything until I was close to 12,000 ft.

SummitGirl
(no login)

No score for this post
March 20 2012, 2:05 PM 

I only got sick once at Muir, Rainier, having climbed there after a week of being at sea level. Too long ago to remember if vitamen I was involved. But, boy was i sick and immediately got better during the descent. I learned from that though and spent just an overnight in white pine (?) before our successful ascent a few years later...so i only spent about 24 hours at a lower than idaho elevation. I used vit I the second time because i was nursing a sore foot after Moran the weekend before. I was using rx amounts during that time period routinely. Too many factors to isolate ibu...interesting though.

Deltaoperator17
(no login)

81mg asprin

No score for this post
March 20 2012, 9:46 PM 

I gave Margie a 81mg on El Cap close to 10K, she was moving fast but got a little AMS headache, after the asprin she said it helped???

SummitGirl
(no login)

Re: 81mg asprin

No score for this post
March 20 2012, 10:02 PM 

She got sick on oxford peak too, because it was really hot...but salted peanuts did the trick...didn't know about the aspirin....

Dan
(no login)

Too Bad

No score for this post
March 20 2012, 2:27 PM 

I can't take IBU. I'd rather suffer the affects of altitude sickness than the stomach pain IBU gives me.

LT
(no login)

No score for this post
March 20 2012, 11:47 PM 

Interesting. I was just discussing the use of "vitamin I" the other day, although it was in a different context -- for use in recovery during endurance training.

Some of you may be interested in this article...
http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/recovery/Stress-Tested.html

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index