<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Spring Outing

March 26 2012 at 12:01 PM
No score for this post
SummitGirl  (no login)

The early spring thaw got me thinking....is anyone else thinking about this yet?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jacob
(Login FireSpud13)

Re: Spring Outing

No score for this post
March 26 2012, 12:19 PM 

Yes i was also thinking about it. Maybe we need to start throwing out ideas on peaks? Anyone have a peak in mind they want to hike.

Dan what days are good for you?

We should hike Mt Church hehe happy.gif

Jacob R.

Matt
(Login mtybumpo)

No score for this post
March 26 2012, 12:22 PM 

Saddle Mountain all the way!

SFOD #17
(no login)

No score for this post
March 26 2012, 3:40 PM 

I am all in.

splattski
(no login)

In

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 9:47 AM 

Unless work gets in the way, I'm in. Any peak is fine.

Dan
(no login)

Date and Peak

No score for this post
March 26 2012, 7:17 PM 

Definitely on my mind... been discussing it with the committee.

The date that works best for me is May 12. This also is later in the year, so less worry about snow blocking access.

Peak thoughts:
1. Invisible (option for Sheepshead)
2. Wildhorse Lookout
3. Peak 10027 (Sawtooths, with option for McDonald)
4. Saddle

Thoughts on those choices?

Mark
(no login)

spring outing peaks

No score for this post
March 26 2012, 8:28 PM 

Those choices look tasty enough. Loving the spring skiing (if it lasts that long), I would choose 10027 of those. Maybe Big Black Dome would be more of a full meal in the Wildhorse lookout area. It would probably still accommodate skiers and is likely to be a straightforward hike for hikers at that time. That is unless this April/May is like the past couple of years, in which case it will be winter conditions. Cache Peak approached from the Castle Rock State Park trails also looks like an interesting hike, though I would doubt much snow will left there on May 12. Shelly/Lime etc is also of interest to me and those may have good skiing then.

Dan
(Premier Login bigdan_boise)
Forum Owner

Your peak suggestions...

No score for this post
April 4 2012, 3:59 PM 

Your peak suggestions are great. However, I have done Big Black Dome and Shelley and I don't repeat non-Boise area peaks (I know, selfish!).

Matt
(Login mtybumpo)

Re: Date and Peak

No score for this post
March 26 2012, 10:17 PM 

I vote for Saddle but I'd be happy with any of those choices. Not sure about Wildhorse Lookout though. I'm actually not sure where that is? Pioneers I assume.

SummitGirl
(no login)

Re: Date and Peak

No score for this post
March 26 2012, 10:25 PM 

i am not that keen on saddle. It seems to be 12 hours any way you look at it...

splattski
(no login)

Times and TRs

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 8:00 AM 

From my experience, Invisible and Saddle are similar in times (7 hours). They took less time than our group climb of Al West (9+ hours). (although seasons and conditions vary...)
Here are TRs or SP pages for each of Dan's suggestions

Peak 10027
http://www.splattski.com/2012/pk10027/index.html

Invisible
http://www.splattski.com/2010/invisible/index.html

Saddle
http://www.splattski.com/2011/saddle/index.html

Wildhorse
http://www.summitpost.org/wildhorse-peak/154329

Steve W
(no login)

Re: Times and TRs

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 8:17 AM 

The Wildhorse looks like a great group hike! 5K gain on the others is a big day for a large group!

Dan
(no login)

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 8:48 AM 

10027 is not a 5k gain, it is 3k.

There is a route on Saddle that is only 7 miles and 4000' of gain.

I will give you that Invisible might be a bit much for a group hike.

SummitGirl
(no login)

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 8:50 AM 

Thanks for the beta. Folks i know said saddle was 12 hr and a bushwack slog....

splattski
(no login)

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 8:50 AM 

Peak 10027 is only 3k. Remember that our trip started from the highway, adding 2 or 3 mile search way. And according to SawtoothSean there is a trail part of the way up the basin:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/message/1121317238/McDonald+Pk+-+Peak+10027

Jacob
(no login)

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 11:53 AM 

Thanks splattski for the trip reports. They all look like a lot of fun. Ill hike any of them. I am planning on going were ever you guys want to go as long as i can get the day off work.

Jacob R.

John F
(no login)

Mother's Day

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 1:13 PM 

Dan, I'll have to check with my wife (and son's mother) since Sunday is Mother's Day. Any other weekends available? It would be nice to make this a multi-day outing...

Dan
(no login)

My only day available...

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 2:42 PM 

Mother's Day is just a day on the calendar, celebrate it the next weekend happy.gif

Luddite
(no login)

Re: My only day available...

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 3:54 PM 

It's one of my favorite holidays!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0DeIqJm4vM

John F
(no login)

LMFAO

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 8:29 PM 

Wow - that was good! Didn't see that one on SNL!

I guess after something like that I have to be in.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index