<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Mount Hood TR

June 17 2012 at 10:18 PM
No score for this post

John f  (Login fadgmo)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jacob
(no login)

Nice job

No score for this post
June 17 2012, 10:27 PM 

Nice job on the climb. Im so jealous i can't wait to go climb Hood. Keep up the fun climbs.

Dan
(no login)

Nice!

No score for this post
June 18 2012, 12:45 PM 

Great trip report. I was in Portland this weekend and they were all over that story!

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Mount Hood TR

No score for this post
June 18 2012, 9:37 PM 

awesome report and congrats on the summit.climb on. rainier? SD

LT
(no login)

No score for this post
June 23 2012, 9:01 PM 

Congrats on the summit.

We were on the Old Chute route Thursday morning for my first Hood climb and hate to admit arrived too late. Our group of four ascended about halfway up before bailing back down to the Hogsback after deciding it just wasn't safe. There was a traffic jam at the top where the Mazamas club had set up a fixed line for their members to descend after summiting. The snow was still in decent shape when we turned around, but it was very warm and we were concerned about softened snow for the descent. Besides that, we kept seeing rock and ice come down and one of our guys got drilled in the wrist by a baseball-sized chunk of ice and my brother was almost hit by a falling rock.

A few minutes later, we were standing back on the Hogsback watching others continue up wondering if we were being overcautious, when all of a sudden we hear a shout and look up to watch a guy slide spinning from near the top of the chute all the way down 400-500' and drop hard 30' into the crevasse at the bottom of the fall line. I thought for sure he was dead, but he never tumbled and happened to land feet first on snow instead of rocks. I've never seen anything like that before and it keeps replaying over and over in my mind. Had we continued, once of us could easily have been directly below him when he fell. Bicycle helmet, no ice axe, and crampons in his backpack... WTF are people thinking?

http://www.kgw.com/news/Climber-injured-in-fall-on-Mt-Hood-159892705.html

John F
(no login)

No score for this post
June 25 2012, 11:31 AM 

Wow - seeing someone sliding down the mountain like that has got to be tough. We too saw an ill prepared father son duo, but it was still early (3:30 or so), and I think they turned back. I can't believe that someone would attempt anything above the Hogsback without an ice axe, but...

Hopefully you'll get another chance to summit soon.

John

SummitGirl
(no login)

Congrats!

No score for this post
June 24 2012, 10:54 AM 

Way to go guys...Very happy for you both! Excellent TR and pics too!

Hood has never really been on my list, but we "tried" it last year (June 23) since the opportunity presented itself. Tried, meaning based on beta from a friend that came down the afternoon of the night we would start up, we aborted. The Old Chute route was described as 4th class conditions with significant rock fall and the rime ice of the Pearly Gates was impassible. I wish i had tried it when i lived on the coast in the late 80s. I think Hood has become a different mountain since. I was always told to attempt this mountain in April/May when conditions are better. I also like that they run the cat that time of year. 2.5 hrs to the top of the lift...gads...it didn't look that far...i do know it's a trudge from the lift down, so nice call with the skis.

Current Topic - Mount Hood TR
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index