<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

ICE!

November 15 2014 at 8:55 PM
No score for this post
DT  (Login Delwyne)

[linked image]
Not in yet but give it a couple more 0 deg nights and a fellow with a handful of short screws might be able to get a lap or two in before the next chinook!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kevin Hansen
(Login climbinghalfdome)

Where @

No score for this post
November 16 2014, 4:59 AM 

You have my attention.

dt
(Login bridlehorseblue)

Poison Creek

No score for this post
November 16 2014, 11:46 PM 

I apologize for the unintended mystery. This is Poison Cr, south of Homedale in Owyhee Co., an hour west of Boise as Jim has stated.

Jim P
(Login mccallboater)

Isn't it Hidden Creek?

No score for this post
November 17 2014, 12:07 PM 

There is some ice in Poison Creek, but not so tall. The Hidden Creek drop is about 35 meters.
===============================================
Ski, climb, kayak. Repeat.

Zach A
(Login zmountaineer1)

Beta for Hidden Creek Falls

No score for this post
December 19 2017, 12:50 AM 

Hi there, can you give me details for how to get to Hidden Falls in the Owyhees? I've climbed Jump creek the last few years but looking for some more variety in the Owyhees.

Jim P.
(Login mccallboater)

Hidden Falls location on map

No score for this post
December 19 2017, 9:08 AM 

Zach, I made a Google Earth screenshot of where to park and where the falls are. I hope this helps.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U3NLErkZz4qUjUxG3

Jim P.
(Login mccallboater)

a video of what Kettle falls looks like

No score for this post
December 19 2017, 9:25 AM 

I found this on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMtAuFKFVc0

No, that's not me in the video. Those guys are definitely ice climbers.

This message has been edited by mccallboater on Dec 19, 2017 9:25 AM

Mark
(Login MarkID)

Kettle falls

No score for this post
January 2 2018, 4:55 PM 

I’m happy to have found this thread...even if after trying to find this place with no real idea where it is. Was out today searching around devils gate area and I couldn’t find kettle falls. The roads were a bit hairball. Does anyone ave any idea where the falls are in relation to devils gate? Probably shouldn’t admit this, but I moved to Eagle just last year from UT, and I’m experiencing serious ice withdrawal. Any beta would be awesome. I’ve found the community to be very tight lipped about ice stashes...which I get. But I’m jonsin and hoping for an olive branch.

This message has been edited by MarkID on Jan 2, 2018 4:57 PM

Blake B
(Login boiseblake)

Hidden

No score for this post
December 19 2017, 10:50 AM 

I climbed it on Saturday and it was in. A little thin and the top out was sketchy but it was still climbable. If you are go to top rope it, make sure to bring a 70m and some material to extend the anchor.

Jim P
(Login mccallboater)

How about Tuesday?

No score for this post
November 16 2014, 1:47 PM 

At the super secret location of your picture. Actually, not so secret. It's about an hour west of my house in Boise.

crappyclimber
(no login)

Re: How about Tuesday?

No score for this post
November 17 2014, 4:53 PM 

If you ask REALLY nicely, I'd tell you where the next "super secret" ice climb is in the desert a little farther south. Just a little taler than Hidden falls and easier to get to (less of a hike), but a further drive.
(clue...google Kettle Falls, succor creek)

Jim P
(Login mccallboater)

It's in now

No score for this post
November 18 2014, 6:18 PM 

Brandon and I got on it today. Nice.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Bob
(no login)

Way Cool!

No score for this post
November 19 2014, 4:23 AM 

Wow, ice in November. Way to get after it. I'd bet you really have Kevin's attention now. happy.gif

Bob

kevinhansen
(Login climbinghalfdome)

Yes, way cool.

No score for this post
November 19 2014, 11:41 AM 

The last few weekends have been filled with Geo Metro repairs. (I will have two for sale shortly).
I found this video,
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMtAuFKFVc0
Does Cory, Jacob, Ralph, Brandon, or Jim want to go climb this weekend?
If Kettle is not appealing, how about Twin Falls ice?

Jim P
(Login mccallboater)

RE Kettle Falls on Succor creek road

No score for this post
November 19 2014, 4:35 PM 

Can we get there in the winter? Looks great!

Jim

crappyclimber
(no login)

Re: RE Kettle Falls on Succor creek road

No score for this post
November 19 2014, 11:37 PM 

You can usually drive there with a decent high clearance vehicle (4wd may be desirable this year)and you can nearly drive to the falls. Not sure how much snow is in the Owyhees (haven't been down there yet this year) but it should still be passable as long as the ground is frozen.

Here are the driving directions going through Homedale:
Drive through downtown Homedale and you’ll enter Oregon on Highway 201. Turn south on Succor Creek Road and travel about 8 miles and turn right (west) on Camp Kettle Creek Road. After that, travel about 3 miles to the trail on your right. That goes to the falls.
(Latitude N13º 33.169’ Longitude W117º 9.917) Elevation 3147’

Devils Gate is the grotto canyon to your left (east) near the Kettle Falls trail. Cool cliffs in its own right, some old school climbing routes are in there, but the rock isn't the greatest.

Jim P
(Login mccallboater)

change in the weather

No score for this post
November 20 2014, 11:42 AM 

Looks like all these great ice climbs are on hold until we get another cold snap.

crappyclimber
(no login)

Re: change in the weather

No score for this post
November 20 2014, 2:23 PM 

Don't be fooled too badly by a little warmer weather. The ice will actually grow fatter with temps around 35-40 during the day and below freezing during the night. This allows the water to flow a little more and continue the freeze cycle during the night.
Also, take into consideration the direction the falls face. Hidden falls faces almost directly north and even if it is 40 degrees during the day, that little grotto canyon rarely gets above 20 and NEVER has any sun on it.
I've seen some of the very large falls in Canada actually double in size within a week or two a good freeze cycle of warmer days and cold nights, and actually shrink back during extended extreme cold spells.

Climb On!

crappyclimber
(no login)

Re: RE Kettle Falls on Succor creek road

No score for this post
November 19 2014, 11:37 PM 

You can usually drive there with a decent high clearance vehicle (4wd may be desirable this year)and you can nearly drive to the falls. Not sure how much snow is in the Owyhees (haven't been down there yet this year) but it should still be passable as long as the ground is frozen.

Here are the driving directions going through Homedale:
Drive through downtown Homedale and you’ll enter Oregon on Highway 201. Turn south on Succor Creek Road and travel about 8 miles and turn right (west) on Camp Kettle Creek Road. After that, travel about 3 miles to the trail on your right. That goes to the falls.
(Latitude N13º 33.169’ Longitude W117º 9.917) Elevation 3147’

Devils Gate is the grotto canyon to your left (east) near the Kettle Falls trail. Cool cliffs in its own right, some old school climbing routes are in there, but the rock isn't the greatest.

Andrew Chiles
(Login andrewchiles)

Re: It's in now

No score for this post
November 19 2014, 2:20 PM 

It's crazy to see people getting after it so close to home. Nice work and a beautiful line.

Idaho is a cool place!

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index