<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Lost River Range Winter Season Conditions

November 24 2015 at 10:41 AM
No score for this post
Cody  (Login dblblack)

Restarting this thread without the Year designation, It was here last year:http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/thread/1415948111/Lost+River+Range+2014-2015+Winter+Season+Conditions

By taking the year designation out, it can just be "bumped" up at the start of each winter season as a reminder. happy.gif

This thread is intended to be a "sticky" for people using this forum who are climbing, skiing or otherwise venturing into the LRR during the Winter months, (Nov-May). Because there is no formal avalanche forecasting that applies to this area, it is incumbent on individuals to determine if/when they travel in the LRR.

The OBJECTIVE of this thread is to provide beta on conditions and observations that will aid in planning and assist in managing risk for those who are in the Lost River Range during the winter months.

When replying to this thread with information, please consider including some/all of the following:
Type of Activity
Date and Location/route
Weather comments
Temperatures, (estimated highs/lows)
Snow depths
Snow pack observations
Recent avalanche observations
Other useful information
Photos to document any of the above items

I have a page on my website that will link directly to this threadhttp://hi-adventure.com/lost-river-range-dashboard/. It also contains web cam views, weather forecast, current weather (radar / satellite), SnoTel sites, GPS routes, videos and other important links.

Winter is here!!! Have fun, be safe. happy.gif

[BTW, this thread is NOT meant to replace all the cool TRs that get posted in this forum. It is only intended to collect some key data on snow/weather that will help us all stay safe - even if that means "staying home"].

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jim P.
(Login mccallboater)

Nice work Cody

No score for this post
November 24 2015, 6:16 PM 

I want to get over there this winter, even if it means driving from McCall. Us non-local folks could really use a message like "now is the time. Get on it!"
===============================================
Ski, climb, kayak. Repeat.

Anonymous
(Login dblblack)

Bumping

No score for this post
January 9 2016, 8:04 AM 

Not sure what the snowpack characteristics are in the LRR right now, but from the webcams it definitely looks like the snow levels are much better than last year.
Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge???

Here are the webcam shots from 1-9-2016:
[linked image]

[linked image]

Jim P.
(Login mccallboater)

Can I get a super gully update?

No score for this post
April 26 2016, 8:05 AM 

It's supposed to turn hot next week. A long drive from McCall. Worth going?
===============================================
Ski, climb, kayak. Repeat.

Cody
(Login dblblack)

SG report

No score for this post
April 26 2016, 10:06 AM 

Here is the most recent TR. Based on this and what I've been seeing as I'm studying the Webcams each day I would say that it should be pretty good this weekend. Based on the weather report, Sunday may be better than Saturday. 2-3 of us are shooting for Mt Moran in the Tetons on Sat/Sun, and the LRR is our backup plan. So I've been keeping a close eye on both.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/thread/1461178904/last-1461535303/View+Thread

Cody
(Login dblblack)

LRR conditions (May 23rd)

No score for this post
May 23 2016, 10:05 AM 

Hey, did anyone get out in the LRR this weekend? I'm mainly interested in any reports on snow levels. It looks like from the webcams that they are still holding strong from ~8500 and up. Also, if anyone gets out there over Memorial Day weekend, I'd be very interested in snow level beta.

I am trying to hit one of the north faces on Jun 3-4; Church or Idaho would be tops on that list, maybe Donaldson too. The Tomahawk is also on my list, (Wes are you still up for that one)? happy.gif

I know that is the same weekend as the big spring outing, but if the conditions hold out for a ski descent, I'm looking for a couple of partners.

Pete
(no login)

Re: LRR conditions

No score for this post
May 23 2016, 10:28 AM 

We were there but with the crappy weather just drove the Copper Basin loop road and had lunch at the Broad Canyon campground before the whole area fills up with campers for the summer. It was low 40s in Copper Basin with snow in spots where it had drifted. It was snowing on us and the mountains got enough to turn white. I don't think there's much accumulating but on the north faces above 9000 feet you could definitely still get some skiing in. I would guess the snow line was around 8000 feet, but not enough accumulating to ski.

We will be in Mackay for Memorial Day too. We won't be hiking, but I'm sure we'll go for a drive. If we make it to the Pahsimeroi Valley I'll take some pictures for you.

splattski
(Login splattski)

May 14

No score for this post
May 23 2016, 11:06 AM 

Cody-

Didn't get out this weekend. This was last week.

[linked image]

Tod
(Login tgunter)

Pio's had a foot up high

No score for this post
May 23 2016, 12:03 PM 

I climbed Summit Creek peak on Sunday. Full winter conditions up high. Really wishing I had taken my skiis for the 1500ft of heavy powder on the descent gully.
In a classic bonehead move I couldn't decide between skiis and snowshoes so I left both in the truck and took my ice axe.
Doh!
5 hours of post holing makes for a pretty good workout. Meant to climb Phi Kappa as well but didn't make it that far.

Marty Cooke
(no login)

Drove by them

No score for this post
May 23 2016, 12:15 PM 

We climbed and skied the North Face of Devil's Bedstead on Sunday, May 22nd. Good coverage on it. The Lost Rivers received a lot of snow last week but my buddy that lives in Mackay thinks a lot of the slopes have deceptively good snow coverage. He indicated that a lot of the peaks were getting very thin and now they have a dusting on top of the thin layer. Lost River and Breitenbach look skiable with good coverage. Sunday felt like winter.

Cody
(Login dblblack)

Thanks for the info. Any potential partners???

No score for this post
May 23 2016, 10:53 PM 

Hey all, thanks for the info and photos. In case anyone is interested, here are the specific routes that I'm looking at, (see images below).
All of the actual skiing vertical on these routes is above 9000 feet and they are northern aspects, so I'm thinking the coverage should still be there. I'm actually hoping that the storm cycle gets moved out by early next week and hopefully we can get some good freeze/thaw going on at those altitudes for a few days.

If anyone is interested in skiing these routes, (or even doing a snow climb and descent on foot), let me know.

Donaldson on the left, Church on the right:
[linked image]
Church photo:http://www.summitpost.org/north-face/126914/c-152080

I couldn't find a photo of Donaldson's NF, but here is another very enticing option.
Donaldson East face (Fish Bone) route. I would also love to do this route if / when the coverage is there:http://www.summitpost.org/donaldson-peak-from-brietenbach/568091/c-152087

Mount Idaho:
[linked image]
[linked image]

The Tomahawk Couloir:
[linked image]
[linked image]

Bob
(Login reboyles)

May 13

No score for this post
May 23 2016, 2:32 PM 

Here are photos from a May 13 climb.

https://goo.gl/photos/F91mXTeXtKE5nWjP9

Bob

RobertF
(Login Falconrob)

Great trip

No score for this post
May 23 2016, 3:37 PM 

Those are some good pictures. Not too many clouds, if any, that day. I was over on Little Mac that same day.

Cody
(Login dblblack)

Did anyone get into the LRR over Memorial Day weekend?

No score for this post
June 1 2016, 11:46 AM 

A few of us are planning some snow climbs/skiing this weekend. Interested in photos from the Pahsimeroi Valley, and/or snow level reports on some of the north facing aspects of the big peaks. Where do we start to hit the continuous snow line?

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Did anyone get into the LRR over Memorial Day weekend?

No score for this post
June 1 2016, 12:06 PM 

We didn't make it to the east side of the range at all, but here's a pic from Saturday from the mine hill above Mackay. The snow on this side is melting fast though - compare McCaleb to the webcam...

[linked image]

Dan
(Premier Login bigdan_boise)
Owner

No score for this post
June 1 2016, 12:59 PM 

The cool thing about this photo are the sediment deposits (alluvial fans) coming from between Lil Mac and McCaleb and then Lower Cedar Creek.

Pete
(no login)

alluvial fans

No score for this post
June 1 2016, 1:31 PM 

That is cool. I'm guessing you have a geology background - I've been wanting to take a geology course so I can recognize these things and discuss them. Just last weekend we were talking about how hard it would be to farm the higher ground around Mackay, but I would guess that the alluvial fan probably has something to do with depositing enough soil to farm alfalfa. That's based on my quick read of the wikipedia article on alluvial fans...

Brett
(no login)

No score for this post
June 1 2016, 7:43 PM 

I was in the LRR climbing Invisible Mountain on Saturday and in the Lemhi's on Sunday. On the south slopes of Invisible the snowline was close to 10,000 ft with continuous snow just below 11,000 ft. There was still quite a bit of snow on the east and north slopes of Borah and the rest of the 12er's.

Borah from just below the summit of Big Creek Peak

BorahfromBigCreek_zps3bae55aa.jpg

McCaleb from Invisible Mountain

McCalebsmall_zps7eaaeeb9.jpg

Cody
(Login dblblack)

re:LRR info

No score for this post
June 1 2016, 10:17 PM 

Thanks Brett!!! This was just the info that we were looking for.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index