<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

2016 dreams, desires, goals

December 12 2015 at 4:48 PM
No score for this post

splattski  (Login splattski)

2015 is almost over. And as the winter storms leave us stuck at home, cabin fever will soon set in. So what are your dreams for next year? The more info the better: peaks, routes, tops, photos, do it up big for those (us) needing to live vicariously. Or, a simple list. Put stars by the peaks to show your ratings wink.gif

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mark
(no login)

some 2015 pics could be others' 2016 plans

No score for this post
December 12 2015, 8:47 PM 

Maybe we can even combine this with some name that peak on some of these

[linked image]
This photo from south of the Snake River is in the Idaho range of Bigtooth Maple near Pocatello. Places near here I could probably photograph and convince people it was New England.

[linked image]
This photo is in the Idaho Range of Lyell's Larch but the only reasonable access is from a dirt road wholly in Montana

[linked image]
There is usually going to be a Sawtooth photo in the favorites for most any year and here is a 2015 one

[linked image]
Climbed this one (on the far left) as a true loop hike from one of Idaho's most scenic official campgrounds; highly recommended!

[linked image]
This one is a stone's throw from another official campground less known for scenery and more known for being near the birthplace of one of Idaho's most rad rivers. Elephant head flowers are really awesome.

[linked image]
Other people on the forum have talked up this drainage recently, more recent than the lovely June morning seen here.

[linked image]
Most Idaho big mountain skiers will probably know where this one was taken from.

[linked image]
This unnamed minor peak (the one I am standing on) has a truly magnificent view but it takes a worthy vehicle to get to a suitable parking spot for a reasonable (at least for a few crazies) start time for a June sunrise from the summit.

[linked image]
This is from the north ridge of Comet Mountain in a mountain range in a neighboring state. Wildflowers galore!

[linked image]
And lastly, this is the outlet of a charming lake with two campgrounds in northwest Wyoming that Dan has been to, or at least very near.

SummitGirl
(no login)

Exquisite

No score for this post
December 12 2015, 9:39 PM 

Your photos...no words. Absolutely beautiful!

We have leftovers from our 2015 list that didn't get done: Saddle, Adams, Porphery, Three Fingers Rock Butte...stuff you all made look fun...Steve has his other two 12ers and a few big peaks he still wants: Rainier, Whitney, Owen. Even though they are over climbed, I would still like a few more 14ers...like Massive and a few in the San Juans, e.g., Wetterhorn, in particular. With my trips to Montana, I have some high interest in the Bitterroot peaks, and then there are the Canadian peaks that Super Dave got us drooling over. Thanks for that! wink.gif The Invisible, Warren, Sunset Peak triangle looks interesting to me too. I'd also like to get into the Sawtooths more. Really, I just need a Lopez 100+ year. happy.gif

Anonymous
(no login)

Lisk?

No score for this post
December 12 2015, 11:01 PM 

Regardless, stunning!

Cody
(Login dblblack)

2016 Plans-Goals-Dreams

No score for this post
December 15 2015, 10:44 AM 

No pics, just an old-fashioned list:
Plans:
Lick Creek Yurt Trip (2,3 small unnamed peaks + Sawtooth or Beaverdam)
Mount Glory (Tetons) skiing
Plamer Peak (Gros Ventre range) skiing

Goals:
Mount Moran (Tetons) Climb/ski the skillet
Teewinot (Tetons) Climb/ski the East Face
One or two of the Lost Rivers (climb/ski)
The "Fishbone" on Donaldson
Breitenbach - West Face
Idaho - North Face
Peak 11913 (on ridge north/ne of Leatherman) - Tomahawk Couloir)
Borah ski descent

Dreams:
Castle Peak (ski the sw gully)
Baron Peak ski mountaineering (multi-day winter/spring trek from Grandjean side)
McGown Peak - climb/ski the north couloir

Bob
(Login reboyles)

My goals are pretty simple...

No score for this post
December 16 2015, 6:41 AM 

Ski one more day, climb one more summit, catch one more salmon and then repeat all three as many times as possible. World peace would be nice but alas, that was a short lived illusion that died in the 60s.

Bob

Anonymous
(no login)

MTB

No score for this post
December 12 2015, 10:57 PM 

Tour the Soldier Mts on a MTB and bag adjacent peaks along the way. I can't put stars by or rate them (peaks/routes) until after climbing and becoming familiar with them.

Erik
(no login)

MTB Grand Slam Peaks

No score for this post
December 31 2015, 1:45 PM 

Additionally, I'm also toying with the idea of completing all four Boise area Grand Slam Peaks on a bike in a single day which seems like a fun milestone. Anybody/Tom/Dan know if a fastest time/record to summit all four peaks exists? Would be fun to set that bar.

Tom Lopez
(Login boiseseniorsoftball)

No idea.

No score for this post
December 31 2015, 3:14 PM 

I think my fasted time for all four is three weeks. So you can beat that record in your sleep.

Last year Grant Bill was toying with the idea. As I recall, he was going to start with Shaw, hike directly down to the high bridge on 21, cross the bridge, and start climbing the ridge to Cervidea and then on to Heinen. On the return from Heien he was going to float across Arrow Rock Reservoir by the dam to get Kepros. I don't remember if he decided where the endeavor should end.

Maybe Grant will chime in as he had done some planning as far as total distance and elevation gain.

Erik
(no login)

Re: No idea.

No score for this post
December 31 2015, 4:01 PM 

Thank you very much for Sharing, Tom. Floating across the reservoir is awesome, I'm rooting for Grant.

I've hiked all four peaks countless times, and biked all but Heinen multiple times (I think I'd bike up the north side but perhaps still descend the south side). I was toying with the idea of connecting them all in one continuous ride, but might just drive between trailheads which would still achieve around 12k' over 35 miles of biking by my approximations.

Stay tuned next spring...

Dan
(no login)

Re: MTB Grand Slam Peaks

No score for this post
January 1 2016, 9:19 AM 

I agree with Tom, the record is likely a few weeks. I've heard of discussions about doing a single day push, most recently by a teenager from Kuna. However, I'm unaware of anyone actually doing it.

Erik
(no login)

Completed

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 5:17 AM 

Tying this chain off while I'm here.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/thread/1462768213

Erik
(no login)

Finally Completed

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 5:07 AM 

Nearly two years later I finally got my bike into the Soldiers for some peak bagging, and it was awesome. I'll definitely be back for more biking the area!

Trip report:https://www.strava.com/activities/1184392893
Video:https://youtu.be/Y0SDS52eg-Y

Luddite
(Login KingLudd)

Re: Finally Completed

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 8:08 AM 

Awesome! Simply awesome! I'm from Fairfield and I always enjoyed traveling around the hills near home. Definitely don't get the attention they deserve. Your pictures were great and the write up was too!

Mark
(no login)

and now for some 2016 plans

No score for this post
December 13 2015, 5:31 PM 

Ideas I have for 2016 are:

Avoid cabin fever at all costs by hopefully skiing more than last year. It surely can't be any worse than last year??? But I guess the Colorado Plateau will be in range for poor skiing backup from where I will be working in Utah this winter.

Coming up with a White Clouds traverse similar to Super Dave's would be quite fun.

Getting into the Tango peaks would also be fun. I've puzzled over loops and traverse options in those parts for years, but have yet to take action.

I've always wanted to do a fly in assisted traverse of the Bighorn Crags from Big Creek as well.

I have two twelver trips remaining but I am interested in an east side route on Idaho that is better for high summer and I might as well corn ski as much of Church/Donaldson as possible. Maybe this year but there is no rush.

Also it is time to corn ski the Soldiers this year.

The Bitterroots during larch peak are becoming a tradition and a late July huckleberry mission somewhere in NW Montana will get more important once I eat the last of saved huckleberries.

This year I failed to get over to the North Cascades but that won't happen next year.

Trying to get a Splattski tour of some nice McCall stuff would be fun, too.

And maybe another spring Cody tour of some western Wyoming objective.

Canyoneering will have to happen a couple of times, but this is likely to happen in Utah.

Maybe another climbing trip in the Winds and/or Tetons.

And these are just the ones off the top of my head.
So much geography and so little time!

Dave
(Login SuperDaveIdaho)

Re: and now for some 2016 plans

No score for this post
December 13 2015, 9:49 PM 

Mark, many thanks for the White Cloud beta you shared during the spring outing. That was the last key to my puzzle in putting together that big traverse.

I've also studied the Tango Peak several times trying to come up with multi-day options. The best idea I've seen starts at Loon Creek GS, up Loon Creek, across to Crimson Lake, down Pioneer Creek. Unfortunately, quite a bit of the mileage is at low elevation down in the valleys, and several parts of it burned in the Halstead Fire.

Mark
(no login)

Tango peaks ideas

No score for this post
December 14 2015, 8:32 PM 

I've considered starting there or at Hindman lake or at WF Yankee fork. Going up the little valley just west of Cabin Creek Peak, connecting to Knapp lakes, going down past Fish lake instead of horseshoe are easier ideas. The harder one, which might be too much, is going up a hanging valley above Loon creek and then traversing south to Crimson past all those larger lakes on the east side of the Tango divide. Want to get some? Your nice photos from your The General and others hike made me want some! Alas I forget just where in those parts burned. If Knapp basin and Fish lake burned I might be less enthused. The east side I remember was spared. My brother has been to Crimson Lake and says it is cool. I would also probably want to try about five peaks including Cabin Creek Peak.

Guy
(Login elcy79.gp)

2016 and beyond

No score for this post
December 14 2015, 9:57 AM 

Got 2 weeks off coming up over the holidays so have to dust off the old tele's and do my first trip up Heinen.

Snow hike up the newly named (official) Cervedia.

Complete last two 12er's before I hit 6-oh.

Finally make it to the summit of Mt Hood (3rd times the charm)

The usual 3-4 day Sawtooth and White Clouds trips.

5 day trip to Rawah Wilderness, Colorado

Might as well do Longs Peak since I'm there

..and Beyond

Mt Shasta, Mt Rainer, Collegiate Peaks in Colo

Hopefully I won't need my 4th knee surgery after all this

Keep on keeping on..

LT
(no login)

Re: and now for some 2016 plans

No score for this post
December 29 2015, 9:03 PM 

Man, that's a good list. Do you work? LOL

Is this one just a backpack or has climbing involved? I've backpacked into the BH Crags and also down Big Crk but only to Coxey Hole. I would like to thru-hike all the way across sometime with a flyrod or even better do it in the winter with skis. Or start at Marsh Crk (maybe with a packraft) and come out either side. Endless possibilities in the Frank as I'm sure you know...

"I've always wanted to do a fly in assisted traverse of the Bighorn Crags from Big Creek as well."

pat
(no login)

Re: 2016 dreams, desires, goals

No score for this post
December 14 2015, 3:37 PM 

As 2015 comes to a close and storm clouds swirl around Bogus Basin, it is fun to reflect on the past year and look with anticipation to 2016. I am currently settling down for a long winter's nap after my second spinal fusion.

I feel blessed to have been able to return to rock climbing in 2015. Looking ahead, I would like to dial back a bit and instead knock off some of the 11’ers that I have been saving. I would also like to do one or two technical mountaineering routes and learn ultra-light backpacking. Trading a 50 pound pack for a 15 pounder sounds awfully good to me.

Hope you all have a nice winter.

Adventure awaits…
[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index