<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Eclipse on Borah

August 18 2017 at 9:10 AM
No score for this post
Kent  (no login)

How many people are going to be on that peak?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dan
(Premier Login bigdan_boise)
Owner

It will be interesting...

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 9:14 AM 

Several people from work plan on it. My dad's friend from high school, who has never done a peak before, is doing it because it aligns with his 66th birthday.

I've been getting emails about it since around March. I've also seen some buzz about it on cohp.org, nwhikers, etc...

What I really wonder about is do some of these non-hikers get that they are going to have to leave at like 5am to get to the summit in time to view the eclipse?

Should be interesting for sure!

Anonymous
(no login)

ROFL

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 3:28 PM 

Facepalm

Josh
(no login)

Re: Eclipse on Borah

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 9:23 AM 

Anonymous
(no login)

Lol at these quotes...

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 8:31 PM 

"That moment on top of that summit is going to be something that will be once in a lifetime for me personally and hopeful we can bring back a piece of that and share it," Brenton Curry said."

a.) If you actually make it to the summit
b.) If you aren't dismayed by squeezing onto the summit w/ 50+ other people
c.) You can't just enjoy it? It has to be some sort of blog/media whoring thing?

"We're going to get up there it doesn't matter, I don't care what happens I don't care if a storm comes through it doesn't matter what comes through and try and stop us were getting to the top," said Curry."

That attitude usually works out well for people in the mountains... Lol. #sarcasm

It would almost be worth driving over there to sit out in the valley and watch the s@#tshow through a high powered telescope.

Rodolfo
(no login)

Borah forecast

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 9:27 AM 

179704376.jpg

splattski
(Login splattski)

Re: Borah forecast

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 6:17 PM 

And that's the line of folks trying to make it to the trailhead!

Helen
(Login HelenBoise)

Stuck under/on Borah?

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 12:09 PM 

My question is this: how high up will the sun be at totality? I'm guessing stuck on the west side of 5,000 foot prominence is just going to net some people a badly lighted view of somebody's backside?

splattski
(Login splattski)

Re: Stuck under/on Borah?

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 6:19 PM 

Helen- Not to be indelicate, but we call that view of a backside a "buttshot"

[linked image]

Bob
(no login)

Oh gawd!

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 6:39 PM 

If I had a dollar for every time I've seen that view I'd be rich.

Bob

Helen
(Login HelenBoise)

Um....

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 9:10 PM 

I was simply going to say "***". I confess my genteelness isn't always.... discernable. Never. Actually. Well, rarely.

:-p

Uh, full moon jokes start to come to mind, also.

This message has been edited by HelenBoise on Aug 18, 2017 9:11 PM

Bob
(Login reboyles)

Lots...

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 4:10 PM 

I checked the NASA map and the eclipse will peak very close to 11:32 AM in the Mt Borah area. By mid to late August the sun doesn't get over Chicken Out ridge until 10:00 AM or later. If CO clogs up there might be some really disappointed people on the mountain. I considered going and figured I'd have to go up on Sunday and biv to ensure a summit view on Monday. But, I came to my senses and will enjoy the TRs from others.

Bob

RF
(no login)

People are heading out there

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 10:23 PM 

I did Leatherman today and on my way out people were pouring in to the various trails to the 12ers on the west side. In just passing by the Borah pull out there were already several cars coming and going.

Driving out of Arco, people were headed in and 50% were AZ, CO, UT and CA plates... Just a weird site considering I travel that area quite a bit...

Stacy Human
(Login shuman3808)

leatherman

No score for this post
August 19 2017, 8:00 AM 

We're a lot of people headed toward leatherman already? I am planning on climbing from the backside...

RF
(no login)

I saw...

No score for this post
August 19 2017, 8:50 AM 

3 vehicles were at the camp ground but I spoke with them and they were going to the lake for the eclipse. I know this is beating a dead horse here but if someone drives that road they deserve to be there..LOL...in that the road is tough... I saw two other vehicles on my way out stopped right before the gettin gets rough and I think were contemplating turning around but I am not sure. Good luck on your climb it was great day yesterday.

Stacy Human
(Login shuman3808)

Re: I saw...

No score for this post
August 19 2017, 10:12 AM 

Great, thank you for the response!
how long did it take you to summit?

This message has been edited by shuman3808 on Aug 19, 2017 10:15 AM

RF
(no login)

Trick question...

No score for this post
August 20 2017, 11:24 AM 

That is a tricky question. As you know there are so many factors in hiking/climbing times. Pictures, breaks, route finding, who you hike with if not solo, time on the peak etc... I can say that Leatherman from the east is doable and enjoyable but again that is just my opinion. Good luck on your climb. I have seen times from 4-12 hrs car to car. If you have the day and are in decent shape it'll be an enjoyable day.

Brett
(no login)

Re: leatherman

No score for this post
August 21 2017, 6:36 PM 

There were plenty of vehicles in the area when I left the West Fork of the Pahsimeroi yesterday after doing Sacagawea and Mountaineer Peaks. Elkhorn Creek, Sawmill Gulch, and Jones Creek roads had a number of vehicles parked along the road. Luckily the traffic was not bad and I had both mountains to myself. Merriam Lake was getting somewhat busy with around 10 hikers I passed by on the way down. However, I heard from a co-worker passed by at least 50 hikers on the way out on Saturday. One guy got his sedan down the hill to the river crossing when I was on my way out yesterday.

Bob
(Login reboyles)

Summit View

No score for this post
August 19 2017, 9:24 AM 

Like this?

Borah Summit B&W

Tom Lopez
(no login)

Where are the . . .

No score for this post
August 19 2017, 10:46 AM 

. . are the porta potis?

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index