<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Totality

August 21 2017 at 2:09 PM
No score for this post

Bob  (Login reboyles)

Now that was beyond cool. I had a bunch of strangers from all over the country show up and instead of being a jerk, I invited them to park and join the party. (It was posted, no trespassing). What a great crowd and contrary to the fear mongering news reports, the traffic was not really that bad. Now come on, post your best eclipse shots folks.

Bob

IMG_0331sm

IMG_0337sm

IMG_0338sm

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
RF
(no login)

That's cool

No score for this post
August 21 2017, 3:18 PM 

That is nice of you Bob. Idaho hospitality!

Helen
(Login HelenBoise)

Can you spot...

No score for this post
August 21 2017, 8:14 PM 

A couple originally from Japan, who had a 2oclock flight to catch in Boise, to get back to LA?

The guy and his two nieces from Sandpoint who slept in a hay barn last night, discovering that roosters have no "off" switch?

A rather confusing assortment of people who are related to our host?

Two high school boys cutting school, from California?

A very short, very happy old lady in an Idaho Summits t-shirt?

Another set of Californians who are from even farther south than LA?

(Which means our intrepid host had folks almost from border to border, north to south)

Thanks, sir! Truly stellar party, thank you for a once in a lifetime day.

Sincerely, very, very tired old lady. Fell asleep while thinking about making dinner.

This message has been edited by HelenBoise on Aug 21, 2017 8:15 PM

Geo
(Login Geo_R)

Tree Shadows

No score for this post
August 21 2017, 10:52 PM 

I didn't want to brave the crowds, so I went to work and then pedaled home to watch (Nampa). I have a globe willow tree just off my back patio. This is a picture of its shadow near the peak of the eclipse:

_mXp6oTLcvR-TdMjlu6wjEa0mjSn2-rNq06vCfPB
(click ...and then click again for full size)

Apparently it formed a natural array of eclipse pinhole projectors ...ignore the grease spots from the prior night's roasted chicken sad.gif

-George

This message has been edited by Geo_R on Aug 22, 2017 10:17 PM

Mac
(Login mackster0077)

Eyesight

No score for this post
August 22 2017, 9:28 AM 

Looks like some of those people were looking up without proper eye protection. Hope they didn't suffer any eye damage.

Dan
(Premier Login bigdan_boise)
Owner

Re: Totality

No score for this post
August 22 2017, 4:34 PM 

Very cool Bob!

Dan
(Premier Login bigdan_boise)
Owner

My Experience

No score for this post
August 22 2017, 4:56 PM 

We had plans that ranged from being in the Sawtooths, to Lost Rivers, and then in the Boulders. The night before we decided we wanted an easier option so we could sleep in and pack chairs to the top of some peak. So we changed plans last minute to Swenson Butte near Chilly Flat.

It was such a last minute change that I hadn't even thought about others being on the peak. So as we neared the peak coming from Copper Basin, I immediately noticed about 10 people already on the summit at 9am. As we drove to the base of the peak, there were lots of hikers heading up the road and on the peak itself. I must say I was a bit surprised!

When we got on top I noticed a crystal on the summit cairn. It was just like the "leaverite" crystal I found in the Sawtooths, so I showed my wife. Immediately after I touched the crystal, a woman shrieked that it was hers and it was "charging" on the summit. I kindly put it down and assured her that I was just showing it to someone.

Later I would find out that the bulk of the 100 of so people on the top were a group that normally does the Burning Man festival together... interesting, but fun group! Just before the eclipse, a young lady wearing lunar tights and an alien headband insisted that the vibe on the summit was negative and she moved lower near where we were and lit her incense stick to purify the atmosphere.

Totality from Swenson Butte:
2017 Solar Eclipse at Totality

Our interesting group of eclipse watchers on top of Swenson:
Swenson Butte

Bob
(Login reboyles)

Corona

No score for this post
August 22 2017, 5:44 PM 

I asked some people to bring me a Corona beer for the event but I didn't get one. I wanted to take a video and sell it to the Corona marketing team. I also forgot to bring Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" for music. None the less, I was not disappointed.

I met a bunch of kids who had traveled thousands of miles with their parents for the event of the summer. They quickly became bored until the eclipse started happening and instead of sitting glued to a video screen, they learned how to catch grasshoppers and praying mantis. All of them were walking around with a grasshopper or mantis on their shoulders like pets. Every one of them gave me a high-five and thank you for a brief outdoor adventure in Idaho they will never forget. And neither will I.

Bob

BeDrinkable
(Login BeDrinkable)

Re: My Experience

No score for this post
August 23 2017, 8:41 AM 

I love the varied groups that gathered in bunches.

BeDrinkable
(Login BeDrinkable)

No score for this post
August 23 2017, 8:40 AM 

Bob, that is very cool! I love the community experience you created. Also, I'm sorry you didn't get to drink a Corona!

My sister came up from California for the weened and we headed into the Sawooths. Definitely more people than I usually see up there, but it's still easy to get away. Just decided NOT to head for a lake and steer clear of Redfish. I gaped, stopped long enough for a photo or two, punched my sister in the arm and then gaped some more. I wished it could have lasted longer ...

[linked image]

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 27 2017, 1:28 PM 

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 27 2017, 1:30 PM 

50 of us on Diamond Peak - a GREAT group!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rr1Ii0fwIc

Erik
(no login)

Solar Eclipse Solitude on "North Cabin Creek Peak"

No score for this post
August 27 2017, 4:32 PM 

Thank you all for sharing, very interesting and fun to read!

We could see other peaks occupied during the eclipse, but we had a Sawtooth Mountain peak all to ourselves which was truly special. Bonus: was my daughter's first 10k' peak.

Trip report: https://www.strava.com/activities/1147198011
Video: https://youtu.be/4h7G3iFutWc

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Solar Eclipse Solitude on "North Cabin Creek Peak"

No score for this post
August 27 2017, 4:57 PM 

Love the Sawtooth Mt. video above. We had 20 in our "sub-group", 50 total on Diamond Peak. One of my friends took his 8 yr old girl out of School in Colorado for our Diamond Peak hike (that is a quality dad!) and she cruised it with us - 4500' elevation gain in 5 hours.

The eclipse you were speaking of in the video is in 2045, lasts 5 minutes and goes over almost all of the Colorado 14'ers (centerline goes over my house also) on a Saturday in August. THAT will be chaos!!! I will bail to the Utah Canyon country for totality as I have just checked off my mountain peak totality experience.

I am very curious as to the numbers of eclipse summiteers on other high alpine peaks - I heard 1000 on Borah, 50 for us on Diamond, saw a video that seemed to have 20 on Sunset Peak?. There is also a video for the Grand Teton out there and also Gannet Peak.....

SummitGirl
(no login)

Stouts Mountain

No score for this post
August 30 2017, 10:50 AM 

We had the summit of Stouts Mountain in the Big Holes all to ourselves...well, except for the remains and grave marker of one Al Courchaine from Swan Valley. So, all three of us had a surprisingly wonderful view from there. It was a plan b peak for us. Turned out great...especially since we had to head away from Victor to climb it (while everyone was headed toward Victor) and then head back into Victor, while everyone was headed out to go home...so, no traffic for us. I'm still not having any luck posting photos here, but here's the write up i did with a few photos. I haven't included any photos we took of Al's site as I've reached out to the family to learn the story of him being laid to rest on that particular peak before i do.http://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/bookupdates/stouts-mountain/

BeDrinkable
(Login BeDrinkable)

Re: Stouts Mountain

No score for this post
August 31 2017, 8:47 AM 

Very cool! I'm impressed that so many people were able to find many wonderful spots to enjoy the eclipse. Just proves that Idaho is a large and wonderful state.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index