<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Goat Lake to Thompson Peak

August 23 2017 at 7:07 AM
No score for this post
Mike  (no login)

Hi all - I was wondering if anyone could recommend a route from Goat Lake to Thompson Peak. Josh/Dan posted about this back in 2011 (here:http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/thread/1186603026) but only shows once you get to Thompson and I am wondering about how to get there from Goat Lake. For starters, and maybe this is all I need: would you recommend walking around the East shore of the lake until you get to that couloir that leads to the upper lakes and take that? Or hike up on top of the ridge East of the lake, staying on that to get to the upper lakes? (Trying to post an image here but can't seem to...)

Thanks!
Mike

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mike
(no login)

Goat Lake to Thompson Peak

No score for this post
August 23 2017, 7:15 AM 

Like this - would you recommend the red line, blue line or some other route?
b5Vabay.jpg

Tod
(Login tgunter)

Blue worked for me.

No score for this post
August 23 2017, 7:25 AM 

Spectacular views, easy scramble and goats to boot! Also kept me out of the snowy gully as i was in sneakers.

splattski
(Login splattski)

and Red for me.

No score for this post
August 23 2017, 9:31 AM 

Except I recommend waiting til it snows.
http://www.splattski.com/2004/goat_lake_b/index.html

Actually, I have done pretty much the same route in the dry. This one explains a bit more about the "trail":
http://www.splattski.com/2007/thompson/index.html

This message has been edited by splattski on Aug 23, 2017 9:34 AM

Jim C.
(no login)

and combination works for me

No score for this post
August 23 2017, 11:08 AM 

When I go up there for skiing with little snow until up high, I start on blue, drop down to red at south end of Goat Lake, and then east of next lake to meet up with blue again.

I've also done a blue variation by going east from blue line to lake at ~8300' then meeting back up with blue line at lake at 9100', but only when there's been snow in that bowl, which probably makes it easier.

Mike
(no login)

Re: Goat Lake to Thompson Peak

No score for this post
August 23 2017, 12:23 PM 

Wow - thanks, all, really appreciate the feedback!

Anonymous
(no login)

Close

No score for this post
August 23 2017, 6:07 PM 

This route should get you close. The area isn't complicated, just go up. Looking up that drainage this past weekend it still contains a surprising amount of snow, should be a great and BEAUTIFUL climb. Let us know how it goes please.

https://www.strava.com/activities/772827075

Ray Brooks
(no login)

Blue route up, red route down on firm snow in June.

No score for this post
August 23 2017, 7:25 PM 

Thompson was the first 10,000 + peak I hiked in the Sawtooths. In mid-June 1971, we hiked, by instinct, since we didn't have a good map, a guidebook, blog-sites, or intructions, the red route up & descended the blue route on firm snow. On the way down,we glissaded for miles. (You folks might want to be carefull about the thin spots of snow above the streams, but it was all so fun & easy in the 1970's, before the current data-overload started stealing adventure from your trips.)

Stein going way to fast on firm snow.
Saw_01_007

Anonymous
(no login)

Everybody Takes The Red Route

No score for this post
August 29 2017, 8:11 PM 

Mike
(no login)

Re: Everybody takes the Red Route

No score for this post
August 30 2017, 1:12 PM 

Oh that is cool! Thanks!

Mike
(no login)

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 8:53 AM 

Hi all - thanks again for the guidance on the route. We did not make it to Thompson - one of the guys threw his back out and couldn't go that far, so we just treated it as a quick recon of the area above Goat Lake and only made it as far as lake 8865. On the plus side, we tried both the blue and the red and for what it's worth I prefer the red (see below - red = snow gully). Not as steep, slippery or sketchy as feared. (I have virtually no self arrest experience.)

Blue line up, red line back down:
http://imgur.com/a/jJ3GZ

Mike
(no login)

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 8:56 AM 

Blue line up, red line back down:
[linked image]

splattski
(Login splattski)

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 9:36 AM 

It's a loop!
I always prefer to see more country. Well, almost always.... wink.gif

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index