<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

This is cool!

August 23 2017 at 3:58 PM
No score for this post

Dan  (Premier Login bigdan_boise)
Owner

So on Saturday, I scrambled up Iron Bog Peak (Peak 10820) in the Pioneers. Around 10400' I encountered a family of 8 mountain goats.

Last night I was messing around looking at my route and wondered... were these (or other) goats near the same spot when the satellite flew over? So I found the spot, zoomed in and viola! https://listsofjohn.com/mapf?lat=43.6640&lon=-113.8500&z=20&t=h&d=r I count 4 with another 2 possibilities... nearly EXACTLY where they were Saturday.

Then I went and found climber's on Rainier (not too hard).

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Scott
(no login)

Re: This is cool!

No score for this post
August 23 2017, 5:15 PM 

Very cool! How often do those satellite images update?

splattski
(Login splattski)

No score for this post
August 23 2017, 5:42 PM 

That has some interesting ramifications.

A few years back, there was a big flap over invasion of privacy when building inspectors realized they could find non-permitted swimming pools by simply looking on the interwebz.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129780860

Dan
(Premier Login bigdan_boise)
Owner

No score for this post
August 24 2017, 1:35 PM 

Interesting article. How cool would it be to see new images once a week or day? In spring that would be awesome... can I get to the trailhead? Is there snow in the couloir? I know, I know... ruining the adventure.

Rodolfo
(Login rodolfoj)

We are out of luck

No score for this post
August 24 2017, 9:17 PM 

Space is free. Nobody can claim their right to privacy to stop satellites looking at you. It is cool that the council agreed to stop the practice, but it was their decision.

Cody
(Login dblblack)

Google Earth images

No score for this post
August 25 2017, 9:40 AM 

In answer to Scott's question regarding how often the Google Earth views are updated, it seems to vary by location, but a rough estimate that I've seen in this area of North America is roughly every year or so. The interesting thing is that you can click the icon in Google Earth in the lower left area of the screen that has a clock and a year. It will pop up a slider in the upper left and you can then go back in history and select different shots for that "quadrant" that you are viewing. It will change the view to the historical version.

My own little personal "cool" thing that is now a part of that history involves the Middle Teton Glacier. On August 13th or 14th of 2011, my son and I climbed and skied from as far up as the snow was continuous, at about 12,300. We left some nice tracks of our turns that were visible on the glacier. On 8/19/2011 the satellite flew over and captured the image of those tracks. So, my "pretty cool Google Earth experience" is that our ski tracks are now a part of history!

Here is the video link that documents the experience:https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=vl50GgOdeMM

Cody
(Login dblblack)

Google Earth images

No score for this post
August 25 2017, 10:31 AM 

Trying out the ability to share a photo on here from Google Drive. Here is the link to the image of our ski tracks. I added the green lines to show where the main tracks are visible.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxhti1NUGBlwdXU0TkE1TnVvSG8/view?usp=sharing

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index