<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Mount Andrus

August 26 2017 at 4:10 PM
Score 5.0 (1 person)
Rick Baugher  (no login)

Since climbing it in 1990 I've always known Peak 12078 as 'Mount Andrus'.

Idaho 12'ers are named for: legislative branch (2), judicial branch (1), pioneers (2), and a mountain climber (1).
What is missing among our highest peaks is recognition of the executive branch.

Honoring Cecil Andrus (1931-2017) adds an elegant balance to the mix, and to use a favorite phrase of the 4 term governor just makes 'horse sense'.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ray Brooks
(no login)

I like your thoughts!

No score for this post
August 26 2017, 6:14 PM 

Rick! I am usually shocked & saddened at naming mountains for dead politicians, but Andrus deserves that recognition for all the great things he did for Idaho’s environment, as well as his deserved legacy as Idaho’s greatest governor, not to mention the wonderful job he did as Jimmy Carter’s Secretary of the Interior.

How can we make it happen?

Rokjox
(Login Rokjoxx)

Sounds like a good Idea

No score for this post
September 1 2017, 10:10 AM 

I would support this, make up some kind of a petition?

Andrus was my guy. I was so very proud of what he tried to do, what he achieved and how he did it. A darn fine man.

This message has been edited by Rokjoxx on Sep 1, 2017 10:10 AM

Tom Lopez
(no login)

Andrus saved the White Clouds from mining!

No score for this post
September 2 2017, 6:41 AM 

So, I think naming a White Cloud Peak after him is the way to go. One of the many criteria under the Federal naming statute is that the person have some association with the feature to be named.

Now, which Peak?

Ray Brooks
(no login)

Now that you mention it, The White Clouds makes sense.

No score for this post
September 2 2017, 2:06 PM 

Tom: It appears from your book that there are two 11,000' plus peaks in the White Cloud Range that have no formal names.

Peak 11202 looks like a worthy summit.

From your book: "This rugged summit sits 1.75 miles due east of Peak 11272 on the ridgeline that runs east from that peak. This cliffy mountain is impressive from every direction ----. The only reported route began at Shelf Lake in the Boulder Chain of Lakes drainage." Clas 4.

Peak 11202 is a little above the center of this photo.
11202 Andrus Peak

splattski
(Login splattski)

No score for this post
September 2 2017, 3:33 PM 

Photo of dramatic 11,202 courtesy of SuperDave

[linked image]

Rodolfo
(Login rodolfoj)

That is beautiful!

No score for this post
September 4 2017, 10:05 AM 

Do people go there to get their one in a lifetime shot?

This is the one rare pile of rocks that looks as good in the photo as in person -or better.

Tom Lopez
(no login)

I was thinking . . .

No score for this post
September 2 2017, 3:38 PM 

. . . the peak unofficially called Lonesome Peak or Lonesome Lake Peak because it is a major peak on the main crest. Both it and 11202 are impressive summits at the heart of the range.

https://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/bookupdates/lonesome-lake-peak/

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: I was thinking . . .

No score for this post
September 2 2017, 4:43 PM 

Since Lonesome already has said accepted name I vote choose one of the other peaks, not that my vote is worth much but I have climbed it for what it's worth

splattski
(Login splattski)

No score for this post
September 2 2017, 5:48 PM 

As I recall, there is a great view of Castle from the top of Lonesome. Given Cece's impact on that peak, seems appropriate.

Rokjox
(Login Rokjoxx)

...of appropriate stature.

No score for this post
September 5 2017, 9:44 AM 

Andrus Peak should be something with some size and character, so as to match the man and his impact on the region, which was HUGE. Requesting a change of name from the USGS even were the existing name very well used, which I think this is not, would be appropriate as it is done this way all the time.

Given that the peak IS officially unnamed by USGS makes it much easier.

But I don't/wouldn't want to support changing the name of a molehill or a rounded bump with no identity. Andrus deserves the best, as he was the best.

I think you may have a very appropriate and actionable idea there, Tom. Thats a nice looking mountain. Where does the inter-visibility limits occur? (From where can you see it? Is it visible from some paved roads for the tourons?)
==============================================================
Good Job. Thinking is the best way to travel.

PS... I really don't think I want to MOUNT Andrus exactly. I kinda rather want to put him up on a pedestal... or "Peak"...

...jus sayin...

This message has been edited by Rokjoxx on Sep 5, 2017 9:56 AM

Dan
(Premier Login bigdan_boise)
Owner

I agree...

No score for this post
September 7 2017, 1:47 PM 

It should be Lonesome Peak. It's popular, accessible, and prominent. 11202 is quite impressive, but at class 4 and off the beaten path, just doesn't seem as good of a choice.

Has anyone started down the official naming process?

Tom Lopez
(no login)

I believe so . . .

No score for this post
September 7 2017, 2:30 PM 

. . . but remember a person is suppose to be dead for five years before it can happen. However, I think that can be overcome. I have a meeting next week with a group interested in moving forward. More than one person or group can make the request.

Dave
(Login SuperDaveIdaho)

No score for this post
September 7 2017, 5:44 PM 

I think either would be great options to become Mount Andrus. But I personally lean toward 11,202’ for a couple reasons. First, it is a more impressive mountain when viewed from most angles. Second, it is typically climbed via an east side approach, which I feel is more closely tied to the molybdenum mining issues that Andrus helped thwart back in the 70s. Third, it has a much less accepted unofficial name (Cardiac Peak) that would be more easily overwritten.

Just my two cents.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 8 2017, 10:20 PM 

I don't usually weigh in on things on this message board since there are usually plenty of opinions, but I did want to put forth another idea since nobody has...how about Peak 11,272? It has no name at all, where the other two already have names, sort of. Peak 11,272 is a prominent peak in the Big Boulder Lake area, and not too hard to climb from those lakes. People see it all the time as they go into this area to access the lakes on backpacking trips. I just thought I would throw that out there as another idea.

Tom Lopez
(no login)

Another good option.

No score for this post
September 9 2017, 7:05 AM 

All good points regarding 11272.

Anonymous
(Login SuperDaveIdaho)

No score for this post
September 9 2017, 9:17 AM 

Good points. Peak 11272' is the most often seen and climbed of the three options discussed.

splattski
(Login splattski)

Good lookin' mountain, too

No score for this post
September 9 2017, 4:39 PM 

Somebody should probably have a conversation with the Andrus family. Tom?

[linked image]

Tom Lopez
(no login)

and a great view of Castle

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 11:08 AM 

Dave
(Login SuperDaveIdaho)

Re: and a great view of Castle

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 12:26 PM 

Definitely a great looking peak.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index