<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Quickest route up thompson peak from redfish?

September 7 2017 at 3:13 PM
No score for this post
Stacy Human  (Login shuman3808)

I am looking for the quickest way to the top of Thompson Peak. I recently received instructions to take a left at the SECOND sign to Marshall Lake, not the first. So do not go into fish hook meadow, go to the ridge on the way to Marshall lake and stay on the trail that goes to the left, and it will take you all the way to the high meadow. at the headwall, stay left, nearer to Thompson. Then proceed to the ridge in between Thompson and Mickey's Spire. Then up the South side of Thompson.
Has anyone gone this route?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Bob
(Login reboyles)

I believe that's correct

No score for this post
September 7 2017, 4:23 PM 

I've been up Thompson that way. We started on the main Fishhook trail and at about .8 miles took a left to Marshall Lake as you describe. The trail climbs quickly to the ridge and then goes for several miles up the ridge where a climbers trail goes left into the high meadow between Thompson and Williams. It was pretty obvious as to where to go left. You sort of walk straight towards Thompson at that point. And yes, the left side of the headwall was the easiest way up. After that we circumnavigated the west side climbing higher as we went around to the south. We tried the first gully we found (SW) and it left us with a low fifth class traverse to the summit that we didn't want to do so we dropped down and went further south until we found the easier Class 3 gully to the summit.

Here's my TR

http://www.summitpost.org/old-friends-on-thompson/856003

Bob

Stacy Human
(Login shuman3808)

Re: I believe that's correct

No score for this post
September 7 2017, 4:35 PM 

Did you go over the saddle and go around the entire west side of Thompson?
If you could trace a trail on a Google maps image, that would help immensely happy.gif

Dave
(Login SuperDaveIdaho)

No score for this post
September 7 2017, 5:36 PM 

Once at the saddle between Williams and Thompson, its easier (less steep) to take a little wider arc around Thompson to reach the saddle between Thompson and Mickey's Spire. If you go all the way to that saddle, the route is very obvious. We just climbed it last weekend and had no issues.

Thanks, Dave

Stacy Human
(Login shuman3808)

No score for this post
September 7 2017, 7:13 PM 

A little wider arc around the west side of thompson?

Anonymous
(no login)

Just do what everybody else does

No score for this post
September 7 2017, 7:18 PM 

Stacy Human
(Login shuman3808)

Re: Just do what everybody else does

No score for this post
September 7 2017, 7:36 PM 

I see lots go south around the east side, and others go south around the west side. just trying to see what people have found easier...

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Just do what everybody else does

No score for this post
September 7 2017, 8:29 PM 

The link shows everybody going west. Like Dave says it'll be very obvious what you get up there. Don't stress and let us know how it goes, have a great time!

Stacy Human
(Login shuman3808)

completed this weekend

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 8:04 PM 

Thank you for help! I made it to the summit yesterday. Was a wonderful hike, and my first hike in the Sawtooths.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index