<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Snow already here to stay?

September 19 2017 at 12:09 PM
No score for this post
Stacy Human  (Login shuman3808)

Anyone been active enough throughout the years around early Autumn to make an educated guess here:
With the warmer temps coming back next week, is it possible that the recent snowfall on the higher peaks (11ers/12ers) could melt off and make for another almost-snow-free summit opportunity? Or do you think that recent snow fall is already here to stay til next summer?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dan
(Premier Login bigdan_boise)
Owner

Re: Snow already here to stay?

No score for this post
September 19 2017, 1:34 PM 

This September snow is fairly common. In fact, it happened last year.

We got snowed on during the fall outing on Devils Bedstead East in September of 2005, but over a month later we climbed Big Basin Peak snowfree (nearby and similar elevation).

The biggest snows I remember though were 2007. They hit early and were deep. However, it cleared off and in November I climbed WCP-1 with Zach. The snow was mostly gone except for a few sections on the north sides in the trees (it was deep in spots).

I won't guarantee it melts off, but chances are likely it will. The point forecasts for above 10k next week are around 40 degrees. It won't take long for that to melt the ridges off.

Platt is good about remembering this stuff... look forward to his insight.

splattski
(Login splattski)

No score for this post
September 19 2017, 4:22 PM 

Wow, Dan- you're crediting the old guy with a good memory? wink.gif

Here's a few examples of September/early October snow:

AUGUST snow on Big Peak, 8/29/10
[linked image]

Dylan throwing snowballs on 2010 IS Outing to El Capitan (9/11/10):
[linked image]

A little melted freshies on Imogene Peak, 9/21/08
[linked image]

2014 IS Outing to Lookout Mtn, 10/4/14 (see, I TOLD you there'd be snow!)
[linked image]

Silver Peak (Boise Mountains) 10/5/05
[linked image]

He Devil, 10/6/02
[linked image]

This message has been edited by splattski on Sep 19, 2017 4:25 PM

Dan
Owner

No score for this post
September 19 2017, 5:06 PM 

That picture from Lookout Mountain is a classic! You somehow found the only snow, albeit only a 2 inch patch, within 20 miles happy.gif

joey
(Login jterra)

Re: Snow From Devils Bedstead/Pictures Finally!

No score for this post
September 19 2017, 3:20 PM 

This was last Saturday on my way up to the devils Bedstead East. The day before the snow had melted , froze and than it snowed again. I decided to call it half way up and climbed a nearby peak instead . The ice was pretty bad and would of made for a nasty down climb.Was beautiful out. Haven't posted pics yet hope it works!

photo Devils approach_<a href=<br
[linked image]

[URL=pioneer%20lake.jpg.html][IMG<span class=[linked image]" alt="[linked image]">[/IMG][/URL]

This message has been edited by jterra on Sep 20, 2017 3:13 PM

Brett
(no login)

Snow in the Pioneers

No score for this post
September 19 2017, 7:04 PM 

I drove up to Wildhorse Canyon Saturday night to do Rearing Stallion Peak but decided against an attempt in the snow and did Saviers Peak instead. Boulder Lake Peak only had a dusting of snow but I had no idea if one of the south ridges were doable. I hope to see some photos as the DBE is quite photogenic in snow. You made the right call as the DBE is tricky to climb in snow.

Scott
(no login)

Re: Snow in the Pioneers

No score for this post
September 19 2017, 7:30 PM 

Unless this is an extremely unusual year, there should still be plenty of weeks left to do some more summits. September snow storms are normal, and they almost always will melt off within the next week. I like to ski as much as anyone, but I don't give up on hiking season until late October for higher elevations and mid-November for lower elevations in most years.

Dave
(Login SuperDaveIdaho)

No score for this post
September 19 2017, 7:45 PM 

I agree with what others have said, very common for September snow to melt off. It won't take much of warm stretch for south facing slopes to dry off.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 19 2017, 10:40 PM 

Summits are always better with snow on them IMHO, seems like maybe I'm the minority though

Dan
Owner

No score for this post
September 20 2017, 2:00 PM 

Get out and enjoy the Indian summer!

8-14 Day Forecast:
Screenshot_20170920-135259

Tom
(Login DrGranola)

No score for this post
September 22 2017, 12:59 PM 

I'll also concur with what has already been said. The early snow might stick around some, but it would be atypical for it to remain to the point that climbing the higher peaks was not possible. There are still some pretty good conditions in October and November. It will be colder, but there will be more good days. In 2015 we summited Donaldson Peak in the middle of October with only a small patch of snow in a shaded area up high. In 2016 I did a 10'er without snowshoes in the fist week of November.

Just be patient and watch the weather. And it might be a good idea to add a layer. happy.gif

Cheers!

This message has been edited by DrGranola on Sep 22, 2017 12:59 PM

Bob
(Login reboyles)

I concur...

No score for this post
September 22 2017, 4:59 PM 

With everything that's been mentioned. I've always considered our Idaho Indian Summers to be the best time to go to the mountains. The summer rush is over, campgrounds are mostly empty, especially on weekdays and during many years we get another month or more of good weather to get another shot at an objective that we might have missed during the summer. One or two good cold spells will knock out most of the bugs and best of all, the fire season looks to have come to a quick end this year. I've been a skier here for the last 55 years and September snow is never more than a teaser at best.

Bob

Jim C.
(no login)

could be sticking around for a while

No score for this post
September 22 2017, 10:43 PM 

At least on high north-facing slopes. There's 2' of snow where I skied today in the Sawtooths, and that's not going anywhere soon.

With fall arriving at 2 pm, the first part of our tour was in summer. I've never skied so much new snow in the summer. Felt more like winter at times.

Some pics to give you an idea of the coverage:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Needless to say, I wouldn't plan on going into the high country for the next week without skis or snowshoes.

splattski
(Login splattski)

Re: could be sticking around for a while

No score for this post
September 23 2017, 7:06 AM 

Pretty early for turns!
And to think that less than a month ago I was whining about the heat.
Thanks for sharing, Jim.

Bob
(Login reboyles)

Eat my words...

No score for this post
September 23 2017, 8:05 AM 

A friend of mine told me he had encountered over a foot of snow above McCall while deer hunting but your trip knocks it out of the park.

Wow!

Bob

kevinhansen
(Login climbinghalfdome)

Wow

No score for this post
September 23 2017, 2:23 PM 

Very odd. Great photos BTW.

Brett
(no login)

No score for this post
September 23 2017, 5:57 PM 

Those photos are amazing! It is not often you can ski in September. With trees in the photos, it looks like you were below 10,000'.

Tom
(Login DrGranola)

No score for this post
September 25 2017, 10:50 AM 

Wow, a September powder day!?!? Super sweet!

Rob R
(no login)

Seven Devils snow?

No score for this post
September 23 2017, 12:27 PM 

Has anyone been around the Seven Devils area since the snow has fallen? We are trying to plan a trip up to Sheep Lake next weekend and want to know if He Devil or She Devil are snow covered.
Thanks
Rob

splattski
(Login splattski)

McCall area snow report

No score for this post
September 23 2017, 6:58 PM 

We hiked up above Lake Fork Creek today.
Snow is fairly consistent above 7000'. At 8000', its up to 12" deep on north slopes.

No problem walking, but snowshoes would have been faster.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index