<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Larches in Idaho?

September 24 2017 at 8:41 AM
No score for this post
Scott  (Login Scott_24)

Do any of you guys know any good areas to find larch trees in Idaho? Last October, I saw a lot of them in the Lostine River area of the Wallowas in Oregon and I thought they were really cool. They make for some great photos when they turn yellow. I would like to go out and look for them again this year. The Wallowas are always fun, so I don't mind going back out there but I was just curious if there are any good areas closer. I have read in one of my books that you can find them near Allan Lake (North Fork-Salmon area), but I haven't been out there to see yet.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

splattski
(Login splattski)

Re: Larches in Idaho?

No score for this post
September 24 2017, 10:12 AM 

Lots of larches around McCall, although some folks here call them tamarack.
But not yellow yet.....

splattski
(Login splattski)

Timing

No score for this post
September 24 2017, 7:11 PM 

To give you an idea of when to visit McCall to see the tams, this is October 28 last year.

[linked image]

Bob
(Login reboyles)

Larch, or Western Tamarack

No score for this post
September 24 2017, 10:35 AM 

The closest place I've noticed Tamarack is around Smiths Ferry on Highway 55, extending up to the McCall area. Drive around Cascade Reservoir on the west side (Carbarton road turnoff) and they'll become apparent when the needles turn yellow. Unknowing wood cutters sometimes cut them down thinking they're dead.

We used to do pre-commercial thinning up there and the Tamarack was the most valued "leave" species on the USFS list. They're numbers have diminished over the decades mainly from human causes and for some reason they were never replanted, at least not when we we're planting trees.

Bob

Jim P.
(Login mccallboater)

Western Larch or Alpine Larch?

No score for this post
September 24 2017, 3:00 PM 

For Western Larch, see John's reply. For Alpine Larch, the closest is probably the upper reaches of the Bitterroots. Alpine Larch, common at timberline in the Selkirks, Canadian Purcells, the Canadian Rockies, and the colder eastern portions of the North Cascades, doesn't get much into Idaho except N of the Salmon River drainage on the very highest and wettest areas. Fun fact: Western Larch is the only larch worldwide that is NOT a timberline species.

I'm not, however, a very good authority on the higher Idaho ranges. Has anyone ever seen Alpine Larch in, say, the wetter Sawtooths?
===============================================
Ski, climb, kayak. Repeat.

Scott
(Login Scott_24)

Re: Western Larch or Alpine Larch?

No score for this post
September 24 2017, 5:23 PM 

Great info guys, thanks! I have only ever seen the subalpine western larch in person, so that is what I was referring to but that would be a really fun trip to go up to the Selkirks or Purcells some day in the fall. I live in the Magic Valley, so the Cascade/McCall area would save a couple hours, which would be nice. I didn't realize tamaracks and larches were the same thing; I probably should have put two and two together and guessed that you could find them by Tamarack Resort!

Dan
(Premier Login bigdan_boise)
Owner

Speaking of larches...

No score for this post
September 25 2017, 8:39 AM 

This is on the life list, the Enchantments in Washington State!
348692.JPG

misty-colchuck-lake-inge-johnsson.jpg

Russ D.
(no login)

All kinds of WOW!

No score for this post
September 25 2017, 10:36 AM 

Beautiful shots.

Jim P
(Login mccallboater)

The best places for larches

No score for this post
September 25 2017, 8:31 PM 

Alpine larches, that is. In my humble opinion, the best spots are the Valhallas in BC and St Mary's Alpine Provincial Park, outside Kimberly BC. Think the Enchantments, but no people, no reservations needed. You might share the whole park with 4 other people in peak season. Definitely bucket list material.
===============================================
Ski, climb, kayak. Repeat.

splattski
(Login splattski)

No score for this post
October 16 2017, 6:27 AM 

Larches around McCall (5-6000' elevation) are turning right now.

Most are sort of a bright green at the moment... should switch to yellow soon.

Scott
(Login Scott_24)

No score for this post
October 16 2017, 4:43 PM 

Awesome, thanks for following up! I am planning on getting out and looking this weekend. Still debating whether to head that direction or check out Allan Lake near North Fork

splattski
(Login splattski)

No score for this post
October 17 2017, 6:25 AM 

Watch the weather.
Despite the wonderful sunny day we had yesterday (and expecting again today) I think we're expecting more snow this weekend.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index