<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Last of the summer wine.

November 2 2017 at 7:07 PM
No score for this post

BeDrinkable  (Login BeDrinkable)

I mean whine.

I knew that the warm weather was truly on its way out, so I had to get up. As always, possibilities danced in my head. Was I up for driving a while? Yeah, no. How about sleeping in and going on a bike ride? Maybe ... but I talked myself into a day trip to the Boulders. Last year I went up Easley with and eye to the connecting ridge to Cerro Ciento but had turned around due to wind. And being a wuss. So maybe I'll complete that journey!

Per my usual, slept in later than was ideal, but what the hell: that's what a day off is for. Drove up Spring Creek for a bit, parked and then started hoofing it up the road. No one was about except one guy cutting some firewood, so I had the place to myself. Bit of a breeze, but not as cold as I expected. The views to the Smokies are always great from here:

[linked image]

And there is already some snow starting to bunch up in the shadows of the peaks. The temps did drop, but nowhere near enough to be truly uncomfortable. The ridge is a nice walk. And you get to look over the edge from the top, where Lorenzo absolutely dominates the drainage:

[linked image]

The cornices are starting to form and it won't be long now!

[linked image]

There were some flurries around, but the snow mostly held off. Besides, what's the saying? A bad day in the mountains is better than a good day anywhere else.

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Geo
(Login Geo_R)

A day off in the Boulders

No score for this post
November 2 2017, 7:44 PM 

...is a mighty good day. Thanks for sharing.

-George

Brett
(no login)

Re: Last of the summer wine.

No score for this post
November 2 2017, 8:26 PM 

Nice TR and photos! I love the shot of Lorenzo Peak. The Boulder Front is a great early or late season destination. This past weekend I was out in the Boulders too.

BeDrinkable
(Login BeDrinkable)

No score for this post
November 3 2017, 8:19 AM 

Sweet! Whereabouts did you get to?

Brett
(no login)

No score for this post
November 3 2017, 7:11 PM 

I did Boulder Peak last Saturday and Galena Peak on Sunday. I was going to attempt Peak 10,835 but did not have enough time. The north ridge of Galena Peak was a fun class 3 scramble. A TR is coming soon.

Tom Lopez
(no login)

Nice.

No score for this post
November 3 2017, 6:38 AM 

Way to get after it. Just when I was thinking about returning home and hibernating you have given me incentive to get out in the Boulders.

BeDrinkable
(Login BeDrinkable)

Re: Nice.

No score for this post
November 3 2017, 8:43 AM 

Well, I'm glad I could return the inspiration for once! happy.gif

splattski
(Login splattski)

Indeed!

No score for this post
November 3 2017, 10:31 AM 

Looking out the window, I think you are right about it being the last.
Good job on getting it!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index