<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

More 2018 TRs

February 2 2018 at 7:47 PM
No score for this post

splattski  (Login splattski)

Let's see what you've been up to.
Those of us sitting at our desks slaving for the almighty dollar need some inspiration!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

splattski
(Login splattski)

Teapot Dome

No score for this post
February 2 2018, 7:48 PM 

I called this Teapot Mountain, but the old lookout here was referred to as Teapot Dome

http://www.splattski.com/2018/teapot/index.html

[linked image]

splattski
(Login splattski)

Jug Mountain ski

No score for this post
February 2 2018, 7:49 PM 

It's way late for our first turns on Jug

http://www.splattski.com/2018/jug/index.html

[linked image]

Anonymous
(Login reboyles)

Re: Ski Shots?

No score for this post
February 3 2018, 9:29 AM 

This message has been edited by reboyles on Feb 3, 2018 9:37 AM

Bob
(Login reboyles)

Ski Shots?

No score for this post
February 3 2018, 9:36 AM 

Not many this year so we've been taking advantage of the "spring" conditions here in the valley. The desert and foothills have been mostly dry this year allowing for a very early hiking season. Last year at this time I was chopping ice dams off of roofs.

Blacks Creek hike
IMG_0565sm

Guffey Bridge
IMG_0713sm

Nothing like a hot dip after a hike. Givens Hot Springs
IMG_0715sm

Surprisingly, Table Rock is dry this winter
IMG_0820sm

Highland Valley trail
IMG_0763sm

Bonneville Point
IMG_0583sm

104 degrees and jets! See a theme here?
IMG_0771sm

Bob

Scott
(Login Scott_24)

Bruneau Canyon

No score for this post
February 4 2018, 5:33 PM 

I checked out the Bruneau Canyon area today. I went to the overlook area and then drove to the Roberson East TH. The canyon is in great condition and the roads were nice and dry. It is a very short hike, but it's a nice area that is worth checking out.
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Scott_24 on Feb 5, 2018 5:20 PM

Scott
(Login Scott_24)

Parker Gulch

No score for this post
February 4 2018, 5:43 PM 

I was up in the Ketchum area on Saturday, snowshoeing the Parker Gulch trail. I did not make it too far up the gulch, only to about 7400 feet. I was just out enjoying the day rather than trying to reach an objective. The south facing slopes had almost no snow on them once you got off the trail and the north facing slopes had wind blown snow that was probably about 1 foot deep.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Scott
(Login Scott_24)

One More

No score for this post
February 4 2018, 5:52 PM 

I have mostly been skiing at the resorts this year, so I don't have too much to report, but here are a few more pictures from a snowshoe in the South Hills (Sawtooth NF south of Twin Falls). This was from January 13th. On this trip, I parked at the Diamondfield Jack parking area and followed Goose Creek into the Bear Hollow area.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

splattski
(Login splattski)

Thanks. But no photos

No score for this post
February 5 2018, 6:02 AM 

Scott-

Thanks for posting.
But your google photos are not appearing. And I really want to see them.

Scott
(Login Scott_24)

Suggestions?

No score for this post
February 5 2018, 6:27 AM 

Oh no, they appear fine on my screen. Does anyone have any suggestions? I used google photos, copied the photo address, then I added the ?.jpg to the end of the link. Finally I took the "s" off of the https. Is there anything else I need to do? I did this in Chrome. I will take a look after work and try to fix it later, sorry about that.

Dan
(Premier Login bigdan_boise)
Owner

I tried...

No score for this post
February 5 2018, 4:08 PM 

fixing them, but I can't even view them in Google... is it a permissions thing perhaps (i.e. you have to make them public or something)?

Scott
(Login Scott_24)

Links

No score for this post
February 5 2018, 5:29 PM 

Bruneau Canyon from Feb 4,2018

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bag5WL7T7ht10xR43

Parker Gulch (Sun Valley) from Feb 3,2018

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lowis1o3LXjwFVhf2

Proctor Mountain from Jan 20,2018

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KZ28vHAGvfLuS1s92

Goose Creek (Twin Falls) from Jan 13,2018

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aRseZZRWJnahaL7f1

Dave
(Login SuperDaveIdaho)

Bruneau Canyon - Roberson East Trail

No score for this post
February 5 2018, 10:08 PM 

Good stuff Scott, thanks for sharing. I've been to the Bruneau Canyon, but missed out on the Roberson East trail. Now I have a great reason for a return trip!

Scott
(Login Scott_24)

Re: Bruneau Canyon - Roberson East Trail

No score for this post
February 5 2018, 10:38 PM 

Thanks Dave! It's a short hike but worth the visit in my opinion.

splattski
(Login splattski)

Re: Links

No score for this post
February 6 2018, 6:37 AM 

Thanks for the extra effort, Scott.
Great pics, well worth it.

I once tried to find the Roberson Trail, but had to give up because my 4-year-old (she's 25 now) was in the truck with me and I was afraid of getting stuck out there. After seeing your pictures, I need to try again.

Scott
(Login Scott_24)

Re: Links

No score for this post
February 6 2018, 5:33 PM 

I also had trouble finding the access road in the past, but it looks like the BLM may have worked on the road within the past couple of years. They also put up metal signs that lead you right to the trailhead. Just take the Clover Three Creek road south until you see the turnoff for the Bruneau Canyon overlook. About a half mile before reaching the overlook, there is a metal sign indicating the way to the trailhead. It is a two track that cuts across the desert for probably around 7 or 8 miles. Definitely avoid it after a rainstorm, but other than that it's not too bad. A little rocky just before the trailhead. I have a newer 4Runner still with the original tires and they made it out OK.

John F
(no login)

Not Idaho, but close

No score for this post
February 5 2018, 8:14 AM 

Scott
(Login Scott_24)

Re: Not Idaho, but close

No score for this post
February 5 2018, 10:36 PM 

Nice report John, I was just thinking about the Rubies the other day. I have heard of terminal cancer couloir but I am not familiar with where it is in the canyon. I am curious how far the road was open relative to the Camp Lamoille and Thomas Canyon Campground areas.

John F
(no login)

Lamoille Canyon

No score for this post
February 6 2018, 8:25 AM 

Scott, though there was a snow floor, we drove up past Thomas Canyon Campground. It looked pretty well traveled.

John

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index