<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The "other" McGowan: Three TRs

February 12 2018 at 4:40 PM
No score for this post

splattski  (Login splattski)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom
(Login DrGranola)

Re: The "other" McGowan: Three TRs

No score for this post
February 12 2018, 7:59 PM 

Two thumbs up! Can you explain DDP?

michael
(no login)

dumpster dive peak

No score for this post
February 12 2018, 11:03 PM 

Tom Lopez
(no login)

Almost certainly the first winter ascent of the peak.

No score for this post
February 13 2018, 7:33 AM 

Good work guys.

Paul Mixon
(no login)

Likely the first winter ascent!

No score for this post
February 13 2018, 8:20 AM 

A partner of mine and I summited McGowan on March 21st, 2007, missing a winter ascent by one day! We signed in on Rick's old summit register, and as I recall there were no other signatures at that time. Way to go guys, nice to see some folks getting after it in winter in the LRR!

Lost River Loner

Tom Lopez
(no login)

Thanks for the update.

No score for this post
February 13 2018, 9:13 AM 

If you have made any winter first ascents please let me know so I can give you credit on www.idahoaclimbimgguide.com.

splattski
(Login splattski)

Re: Likely the first winter ascent!

No score for this post
February 13 2018, 7:51 PM 

Paul-

Did you leave some ski poles on top?

Paul Mixon
(no login)

Ski poles?

No score for this post
February 14 2018, 9:24 AM 

Hey John,

No, we did not leave any poles on this peak back in 2007. As I recall, there was a good sized cairn on top, which we dug into and located Rick's typical summit note in a plastic film canister. It is quite impressive to me that you guys were able to summit both McGowan and Peak 9330 in one day in February! Over the years, I have climbed 9330 multiple times in winter, including the months of January, February, and March. I have always called that hill "Red Wolf Peak" after the sports mascot for the university where I teach. BTW, Peak 8681 also makes for a wonderful winter outing.
Congratulations on these two LRR winter ascents!

Paul

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index