'Castles in the Air'

by James McKay

Hi Scott,
I tried to identify the Castle by clicking on to 'Scottish Castles Photo Library' and there are a few 'likely' candidates! It would all depend on the angle the picture was 'shot' at. Of course the originator of the 'Banner' photo could maybe let us know.....Perhaps the lovely Michelle or some other clever person!
The link that I gave you above, gives you the Castles in alphabetical order, some are derelict, some are still in full working order, in public or private use, and each with it's own 'pen-picture' and background.
I don't know if your 'Campbell' reference was a 'throwaway' line or not but the Campbells stronghold was mainly over in Argyll (Invarary Castle). Here's a wee quick story for you to illustrate how the 'Hoi-Poloi' HAVE, and KEEP their money;
Some years ago I was sent up from my base in Stirling to assist with the Comms for Her Grace the Duchess of Argylls' Horse Trials (a Gymkhana over fences etc) this is usually held on the 1st weekend in June. I arrived at the Castle Reception and after establishing my 'boana fides' His Grace the Duke asked me and my 2 'Technos' if we wanted to 'See round the HOUSE'? We said we would'nt mind and His Grace told us to go through a certain entrance - where there was a wee CASHIER waiting to TAKE OUR MONEY!!! Bearing in mind these people were getting our services, time and equipment for FREE! Would YOU have given them any money?? NO WAY PEDRO!!
Now you know how the 'Idle Rich' have got money - and WE HAVEN'T!!
Regards, Jim

Posted on Dec 22, 2009, 3:01 PM
from IP address 92.22.3.94

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. The Castle is in Edinburgh!. Michelle Sandelier, Nat'l. Pres., Dec 22, 2009, 4:14 PM
  2. Rich mens castles. Scott Mckay, Dec 22, 2009, 7:40 PM
    1. Fee to visit Tongue House?. E.David McGee, Dec 23, 2009, 5:58 PM
      1. Tongue House. Scott Mckay, Dec 23, 2009, 6:50 PM
        1. There is a difference. E. David McGee, Dec 23, 2009, 7:21 PM
  3. 'Red-Faced'. James McKay, Dec 23, 2009, 5:23 AM
  4. Money, Money, Money, Or lack of it!. Jim McKay, Jan 11, 2010, 6:14 PM
    1. Book. Jim McKay, Jan 11, 2010, 6:33 PM

Quantcast

Copyright 2003-2014, Clan Mackay Society USA Visit our website, ClanMackayUSA.org