Clear as mud...

by Michael McAtee

I've been looking through my relatives genealogy work (there's a lot) and have come across some interesting facts.

PATRICK McAtee my decedent that came to America, and his brothers (Patrick, Edmond & Henry) immigrated to America together From Ireland they went to the port in Bristol, England where they left on the ship "Batchelor" and arrived in St. Mary's County, Maryland in 1674 with ninety men planning to become indentured servants (Patent MM: 152). Upon landing in St. Mary's City, Maryland, Patrick and Henry were indentured to His Excellency Charles Calvert. Brother Edmond was indentured to Robert Ridgely. All 3 brothers used the surname "Magee" on the ship's manifest on the trip to America.

Patrick married a young lady with the first name of Rosamond. There is controversy over her maiden name. Some say it was Green (Greene, some say it was Browne. Regardless they had 7 children. James the last was the only one born in America. Notes from his son James say he emigrated from Ireland in 1684. Patrick was in Charles County, Maryland before 1695 when his son James was born. He lived at the head of the Wicomico River. He and Rosamond may have come from County Claire or County Cork in Ireland. In 1686 Patrick was 34 years old. James Browne was in Maryland in the 1630's and was considered well-to-do. James was married to a Ann Smithson. She was from England. Court documents show that there was no children from this marriage. James Browne and Patrick became close friends. There was an epidemic in Maryland in 1698 and James Browne died w/o a will. He left everything to his wife and she died shortly thereafter and on her death bed left everything to Patrick.
On the patent the clerk wrote their names as Patrick Magee and Edmund Magee.

So you are correct that names were apparently spelled phonetically. This does tend to firm up (in my mind at least) my family's connection to the Magee (Macghie) name.

Posted on Sep 21, 2015, 11:22 AM
from IP address 38.95.192.114

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Great amount of info. Earl McGee, Sep 21, 2015, 1:52 PM
    1. Thanks!. Michael McAtee, Sep 21, 2015, 2:28 PM

Quantcast

Copyright 2003-2014, Clan Mackay Society USA Visit our website, ClanMackayUSA.org