Looking for Family Tree Assistance

by D McCoy

Hi, everyone. In researching my husband's family tree on Ancestry dot com, I have come upon an interesting dilemma-I traced his family back to an Alexander Archebald McCoy, whose father was James Mackey McCoy (m. Jennett Wallace). After finding this information, I came upon a book titled "The Book of MacKay", written by an Angus MacKay in the late 1800s. This book outlines the entire MacKay family tree; however, there is NO James Mackey McCoy. I have found this James Mackey McCoy on MANY family trees with connections to my husband's family; however, if a scholar on his family has no record of this person, where did so many folks go wrong? James Mackey McCoy was purportedly the son of William MacKay (m. Elizabeth Corbet) who was the son of Donald MacKay of Borley (m. Christiana Munro). I'm new to genealogy, and this has me totally stumped. Can anyone help me figure out how this went sideways? Here is the link to the book:https://archive.org/details/bookofmackay00mack

Posted on Apr 24, 2017, 2:43 PM
from IP address 99.118.93.245

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Family Tree Information. D McCoy, Apr 26, 2017, 2:37 PM
    1. Hope this helps. Christopher Pollard, Apr 28, 2017, 1:47 PM
      1. Link. Christopher Pollard, Apr 28, 2017, 1:49 PM
        1. interesting site-may be inaccurate though. Earl McGee, Apr 30, 2017, 8:13 PM

Quantcast

Copyright 2003-2014, Clan Mackay Society USA Visit our website, ClanMackayUSA.org