Welcome to the Penn and Teller bulletin board, a great place to keep in touch with fellow Penn & Teller fans or ask questions about the guys. We welcome your thoughts!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to P & T Homepage  

Protesters... Do they actually accomplish anything?

September 4 2009 at 10:31 PM
Kasey C  (Login kschang77)

So many of BS episodes cover protesters who complain about... uh... BS topics.

What exactly DOES protest accomplish, except media coverage?

I mean, who exactly treat PETA serious, except PETA members?

And so on.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Protesters... Do they actually accomplish anything?

September 5 2009, 4:29 PM 

> I mean, who exactly treat PETA serious, except PETA members?

People who are considering becoming peta members?

Respond to this message   
HeyRed!
(Login HeyRed)

September 9 2009, 8:26 PM 

To me, at the very least, entertaining.

Respond to this message   
Bob
(no login)

depends

September 13 2009, 1:39 AM 

it really depends on what you're protesting. I saw some people protesting puppy mills, but they were protesting at a store in a mini mall. The mini mall doesn't run the puppy mill, the people who work there have nothing to do with it. It's like getting mad at the person who works at burger king because of how the cows are treated. If they held the protest where someone at the company who has the kind of authority, and if they offered the company another route, yes then, protesting helps. Usually though, protesting is for people to feel good and meet others who believe what they do

Respond to this message   
HeyRed!
(Login HeyRed)

September 15 2009, 7:41 PM 

If anything annoys me about protesters, it's when they do it in a way that forces you to be involved.

Having a rally at city hall or in front of a gov't office, fine. But there's no need to block traffic or make us either go through you or around you. It can be dangerous.

Respond to this message   

Mindme
(Login mindme)

September 21 2009, 7:49 AM 

I agree HeyRedl

Turn out in sufficient number, the media brings their cameras, you do get your message out and protests can have an effect on what politicians do. Shutting down intersections just alienates people who might have supported you.

--------
Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
http://www.yrad.com/cs

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

October 9 2009, 6:37 AM 

I don't know about protest in geenral being bad. But those health care workers protesting vaccinations are really starting to piss me off. What a horrible, horrible example these people are setting.

Respond to this message   
Mofobabe
(Login Mofobabe)
Forum Owner

October 11 2009, 1:47 PM 

Hi,

I disagree with you. The H1N1 vaccine is not a required vaccination for the general population. it is not like measles, mumps etc. Most people will recover from the flu with no complications at all. The flu shot has always been an optional vaccination. Some people get it yearly, others don't. I choose to get it because I'm a teacher and I'd prefer not to get the flu. But, I've had the flu in the past, and it was fine.

The issue is that they are being forced to get the vaccination. They should have a right in this case to refuse.

Sincerely,
Audrey

Webmistress:
The Web Home of Penn & Teller
Pennandteller.com

Respond to this message   

Mindme
(Login mindme)

October 13 2009, 7:25 AM 

Data is starting to emerge that H1N1 is proving more dangerous to young and pregnant females. It's good to get a vaccination to get the herd immunity and keep you from getting it and then passing it on to someone who will pass it on to a pregnant woman. I surmise. I seem to recall an ep of the Penn radio show where Penn talked about the importance of herd immunity. Or maybe I have it confused with another podcast.

Anyway about the risks:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/28/swine.flu.pregnant/index.html

That said, I suppose anything should be voluntary.

However if people are protesting based on junk science and a mistaken belief about the risks/benefits of the vaccine then they're spreading dangerous health information.

--------

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

October 17 2009, 4:53 AM 

I thought those protesting the vaccinations were given the choice of wearing surgical masks all day long, as opposed to the shot. Because that doesn't sound like mandatory vaccinations to me.

I think these anti-vaccine nutters, health-care workers or not, need to just be quiet, get the shot and lead by example for the rest of us. It's not like we don't recieve trace amounts of mercury in our daily diets already and a little more is going to hurt us.

Respond to this message   

Mindme
(Login mindme)

October 20 2009, 6:06 AM 

http://bit.ly/4u7Q9a

Michael Goudeau (praise be his name) gets his shot and makes the news.

--------

Respond to this message   
Kevin Quail
(Login rudolfo1)

Only If They Vandalize

October 20 2009, 8:58 PM 

They help create jobs by breaking windows and such. As far as the stupid H1N1 vaccine goes, just wash your hands a lot and don't touch your face. I've never received a flu vaccine of any kind and have only had about two colds in the last ten years. And I fuck prostitutes!!

Respond to this message   
Skeptical
(no login)

Re: Only If They Vandalize

October 29 2009, 9:22 AM 

The thing about the H1N1 flu shot that bothers me is that the media is focusing solely on whether or not there will be enough for everyone to go around versus whether or not it's actually safe. Meanwhile places like France are protesting the shot calling it poison and people in Sweden are dropping dead hours and days after recieving their shots.

I'm on the fence on this one and would like to see some more independant and scientific studies into its safety before I line up for the jab, or make fun of those who are against it.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to P & T Homepage  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement